Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Amazing Facts/Realizations about the universe
The only way we can see the universe is from inside it.

We will likely never possess any way of viewing our universe from outside its physicality.
Images/gifs are from internet & any objection, will remove them.
Like Reply
Do not mention / post any under age /rape content. If found Please use REPORT button.
That in the grand scheme of things we are all immortal. Our organic cells will die, our consciousness will cease, and we will no longer be able to directly observe existence, but the atoms that make up our bodies will simply be new compounds. And if energy is neither created nor destroyed, if our atoms continue to be, we will eventually make up the building blocks of new compounds. Pieces of us will watch the sun swallow up Mercury and Venus. Pieces of us will watch supernovae and black holes and all sorts of cosmic phenomena. Perhaps even one day our atoms will return to a nebula, and the cycle will begin again. A new star is formed, new planets begin to orbit it, liquid water forms on a small green rock orbiting this star, and an intelligent species evolves to travel to marvel at the wonders of our universe. One of my favorite shows is Battlestar Galactica and one of the quotes that stuck out to me was "All of this has happened before, and it will happen again." I tend to think there's some truth to that. I've had a couple friends and my grandfather die this year, and as an agnostic I am processing death a bit differently from the rest of my family. I don't think of death as the ending, as a finality. I don't think there is an afterlife as most religions conceive of it. I think that in a weird way, we all live forever.
Like Reply
A single human brain has as many neurons as there are stars in the Milky Way galaxy. Around 100 billion.
Like Reply
If you were on a planet 65 million light years away from Earth and had a really good telescope, you could see the dinosaurs.
Like Reply
One of my favorite is about the number of unique orders for cards in a standard 52 card deck.

I've seen a a really good explanation of how big 52! actually is.
Set a timer to count down 52! seconds (that's 8.0658x1067 seconds)
Stand on the equator, and take a step forward every billion years
When you've circled the earth once, take a drop of water from the Pacific Ocean, and keep going
When the Pacific Ocean is empty, lay a sheet of paper down, refill the ocean and carry on.
When your stack of paper reaches the sun, take a look at the timer.
The 3 left-most digits won't have changed. 8.063x1067 seconds left to go.
You have to repeat the whole process 1000 times to get 1/3 of the way through that time. 5.385x1067 seconds left to go.
So to kill that time you try something else.
Shuffle a deck of cards, deal yourself 5 cards every billion years
Each time you get a royal flush, buy a lottery ticket
Each time that ticket wins the jackpot, throw a grain of sand in the grand canyon
When the grand canyon's full, take 1oz of rock off Mount Everest, empty the canyon and carry on.
When Everest has been levelled, check the timer.
There's barely any change. 5.364x1067 seconds left.
You'd have to repeat this process 256 times to have run out the timer.
Like Reply
Imagine being transported to a parallel universe that was almost identical to our own.

Somewhere out in the vastness of that universe, there is a tiny planet.
This much is true in both universes.
On this planet, there is a beach, and on that beach, there is a small stone.
Once again, both universes are alike in this regard.
Beneath that stone, however, there are several million grains of sand, and while they are all are in precisely the same location in each universe, one of them – a tiny speck of particularly clear quartz, hewn from a larger whole millions of years before – has a single atom that is positioned a fraction of a femtometer differently than its twin in the mirror dimension.
You may think that such an insignificant difference would label these two universes as being functionally identical, and you would be right. In fact, they are so similar that the multiverse has long since combined them into one reality. That single atom in that tiny speck of sand on that lonesome beach on a distant planet merely occupies two spaces at once, seeming to an outside observer to vibrate back and forth at a predictable rate.
That every atom in existence seems to do the same is probably a coincidence.

TL;DR: Everything is buzzing.
Like Reply
How young it is.

People look at the universe being 13.7 billion years old and say 'that is ancient'. That is nothing.
Stars will continue to form for another 100 trillion years. Even after that, stellar remnants will exist for quadrillions of years.

Black holes will still produce energy that can be used by intelligent civilizations for 10100 years.
Keep in mind if biological life doesn't destroy itself, we will just keep getting more and more knowledge. Its probably a safe bet that within 500 years (which is nothing on universal time scales) we will be an interstellar species that has long ago transcended biology.
There is no telling what our descendants will do for the remaining life of the universe. The 4-5 billion years of biological evolution of life on earth will be looked at as an embryonic stage for endless quintillions of years of real life to begin post-biology. They will view the universe as their oyster, a place of infinite possibilities while we are still just spending our days trying not to die and trying to avoid being punished by our brains with pain.
Like Reply