Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kamala das Poet
 Kamala Das's My Story

Kamala Das (Suraiya)
Merrily Weisbord   describes what she have noticed and experienced with kamla surayya, when she flew to Cochin, after receiving the letter….

"I open myself to a laughing, entrancing Kamala in burqua and black. We've been talking for hours, between and over the heads of the new cast of ***** visitors
I notice too that Kamala's posture and body language are looser and more relaxed than on my last visit. She says Muslims are friendlier than Hindus, and with them she feels a complicity and trust. There's more laughter in the house and she looks radiant dark eyes bright, full lips puckering, gold on neck, diamonds in nose – her face dramatically framed by a regal, high-capped, black chador.

Whatever her new reality, Kamala's warmth to me is unchanged. She shows me a shiny silver cell phone resting like an idol on a pedestal, and says it is a gift from thirty-eight-year-old Sadiq Ali, _- scholar, national ***** League MP from Malabar, and her absent lover.

All day she wears the phone on a gold belt slung rebelliously around the waist of her black dress, keeping the line open and, as he requested, "dedicated to our love." As her bangles flash and her visitors delight, Kamala listens for the phone strapped to her body. She longs for Sadiq Ali to call. And when the visitors leave, she tells me that after their first meeting, he called for days, at midnight, every night".

Sadiq Ali asked Kamala's cousin to arrange a meeting. He said he had admired Kamala for years and wanted to meet her. Kamala gave him a two-hour appointment, and Sadiq Ali drove five hours from his small town to Cochin.

"He sat at my feet laughing the attractive, reckless laugh of a monarch. He was a preacher who delighted large audiences with ballads and narratives lasting five hours. He held his listeners in a spell with his four-octave range and a pure voice that resembled a newborn's cry."

Sadiq Ali charmed Kamala with his eloquence, scholarship, rough wavy hair, white teeth, and "smile of wondrous innocence." He asked if she would permit herself to be photographed with him, and they posed on the cane sofa, nibbling on plum cake, laughing together. "I no longer recollect the topics of our first conversation, but laughter entered our home as spontaneously as sunshine that morning, filling each crevice of emptiness."

"Feed me," Sadiq Ali requested playfully, when Kamala allowed the two hours to stretch into lunch.

"But I cannot touch your lips," Kamala responded. Her grandmother had warned that Muslims ate the corpses of sacred cows, which made their breath stink, and that touching them led to exile. "A staunch vegetarian like me would never touch the mouth of a mlecha [ flesh eater]," she said.

"Then I will feed you," Sadiq Ali offered, breaking food into small pieces.
By the time he left Kamala's home, his flirtatious play had stirred long-buried feelings and desires. "For many years I had not witnessed the blush spread on the cheek of a young man finding himself embarked on a new love."

And it had been many decades since she had felt desire, that slow ache in the abdomen, blood surging as on a fast-moving swing.

"I was almost asleep when Sadiq Ali climbed in beside me, holding me, breathing softly, whispering endearments, kissing my face, breasts ... and when he entered me, it was the first time I had ever experienced what it was like to feel a man from the inside."

Abstract:
Kamla Das was born on 31st March 1934 in Punnayurkulam, the then Malbar district belonging to the Madras Presidency. Her pen name was Madhavikkutty. Her father was V.M.Nair, who was former editor of Mathrubhumi, a periodical and later on he became a senior officer of Walford Transport Company in the erstwhile Calcutta. Kamla's mother was Balamani Amma, who had reasonable poetic talents. At the age of 15 Kamla was married to K. Madhav Das, an officer, Reserve Bank of India in Bombay1. This marriage gave rise to three sons - Madhav Das Nalpat, Chinnen Das and Jayasurya Das.

Key Words: Male Domination, Kamala Das's My Story, autobiography, Literature.
Like Reply
Do not mention / post any under age /rape content. If found Please use REPORT button.

Messages In This Thread
Kamala das Poet - by lkveni58 - 21-06-2021, 12:13 PM
RE: Kamala das Poet - by lkveni58 - 21-06-2021, 12:19 PM