3 hours ago
Sivamurugan 85
Chapter 4 — The New Rules of the House
Day 9 — An Unexpected Scene
It was evening when Vel returned home.
He opened the door, expecting to find Devi alone, as usual. But the moment he entered the hall, he stopped in shock.
Devi was sitting comfortably on the sofa, with Raj sitting on her lap. She had one arm around his shoulder, and the two of them were laughing at something Raj had just said.
For several seconds, Vel simply stared at them.
Then his face hardened.
Vel: “Devi! What is going on here? Have you completely forgotten that you are my wife? I leave this house in the morning and come back in the evening, expecting at least a little peace, but instead I find another man sitting on your lap! And you are laughing as though there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Raj, get up immediately. I want an explanation from both of you!”
Devi did not immediately move away from Raj. She looked at Vel calmly, almost as if she had expected this confrontation sooner or later.
Devi: “Why are you shouting, Vel? You have just walked through the door, and already you are trying to control everyone in this house. Instead of asking me how I feel or why Raj is here, you immediately start giving orders. Have you ever wondered why I have become so distant from you? Have you ever thought about how lonely I have been? You are angry because you see me spending time with another man, but you never seemed concerned when I was sitting alone, waiting for you to notice me.”
Vel clenched his fists.
Vel: “Do not try to turn this around on me! I am your husband. I have every right to ask what is happening in my own marriage. Raj, I trusted you. You came here pretending to be a good friend, and now you are sitting on my wife's lap in front of me. Have you no shame?”
Raj slowly stood up, but he did not step away from Devi.
Raj: “Vel, you keep repeating that you are her husband as though those words give you ownership over her. Devi is a person, not a possession. You cannot ignore her feelings for years and suddenly expect her to behave exactly as you want when you discover that somebody else makes her happy. I did not force her to spend time with me. She chose to invite me into her life. If you have a problem with that, speak to her respectfully instead of shouting at both of us.”
Vel turned toward Devi again.
Vel: “So this is what you want now? You want Raj in your life, and you do not care what happens to our marriage? Tell me honestly, Devi. Is this man more important to you than I am?”
Devi finally stood up. She adjusted her clothes and looked directly into her husband's eyes.
Devi: “You want an honest answer? Yes, Raj has become very important to me. When I was lonely, he listened. When I wanted to talk, he gave me his time. When I laughed, he laughed with me. I began looking forward to seeing him because he made me feel like a person again, rather than someone who was simply waiting for her husband to come home. You may not like hearing that, Vel, but I will not lie to you just to protect your pride.”
Raj moved closer to Devi.
Raj: “And let me make one thing clear, Vel. I care about Devi, and I want to be part of her life. I am not going to pretend otherwise just because you are angry. She is the woman I want to be with, and I want a future with her. But I will not force her to choose anything. Her decision must be her own.”
Devi took Raj's hand.
Devi: “You heard him, Vel. Raj is important to me, and I am no longer going to hide my feelings simply because you might disapprove. If you want to remain in this house, you will have to learn to speak to me with respect. Things cannot continue the way they did before.”
Vel looked from Raj to Devi, struggling to understand how quickly his familiar world had changed.
Day 9 — The Question of Divorce
Vel sat down heavily on the sofa.
Vel: “If this is how you feel, then perhaps we should get a divorce. I cannot live in a marriage where my wife openly chooses another man and expects me to accept it. I would rather end this relationship than spend the rest of my life being humiliated in my own home.”
Devi's expression changed. She walked toward him and stood in front of the sofa.
Devi: “Divorce? You think you can simply announce that you want a divorce and walk away from everything? Listen carefully, Vel. I am not going to let you use divorce as a threat whenever you dislike my decisions. If you want to discuss the future of our marriage, we can discuss it properly. But you cannot frighten me into returning to the person I used to be.”
Vel: “Then what exactly do you expect from me? You want Raj to remain here, you want me to accept your relationship with him, and you want me to behave as though nothing has happened. How can you expect me to live like that? I have feelings too, Devi. I may have made mistakes, but that does not mean I have stopped being human.”
Devi looked at him for a long moment.
Devi: “I am not asking you to pretend that you have no feelings. You are free to express your feelings, just as I am free to express mine. But from now on, I will make decisions about my own life. You will not shout at me, dictate whom I can speak to, or expect me to give up my happiness simply because you are uncomfortable. If you choose to remain in this house, we will have to establish new boundaries and responsibilities.”
Raj stood beside her.
Raj: “Vel, nobody can make this decision for you, and nobody should make it for Devi either. If you want to discuss divorce, seek proper legal advice and understand your options. Do not make threats in the heat of the moment. Whatever happens, it should be handled honestly.”
Devi continued, her voice firm.
Devi: “And one more thing, Vel. Do not threaten me with divorce to frighten me, and do not expect me to make false accusations against you. I will not use a dowry case as a weapon, and I will not accept threats from you either. If there are genuine legal issues, they must be dealt with truthfully and through the proper legal process. I will not build my future on fear.”
Vel lowered his head.
For the first time that evening, he had nothing to say.
Day 10 — A Different Morning
The next morning, Vel woke up earlier than usual.
He went into the kitchen and began preparing coffee. He remembered how Devi liked it and carefully added the amount of sugar she usually preferred.
When he brought the cup into the hall, Devi was sitting on the sofa, checking her phone.
Vel: “Devi, I have made your coffee. I also thought I would prepare breakfast this morning. You can relax for a while. I know things have become difficult between us, and I am not expecting one cup of coffee to change anything. I just want to start taking responsibility for the things I have neglected.”
Devi accepted the cup.
Devi: “Thank you, Vel. But understand something. You do not have to become my servant to prove that you care about me. If you want to cook, cook. If you want to help around the house, help. We can divide the household responsibilities fairly. But do not do these things while secretly expecting me to reward you with affection or promise that I will return to the marriage exactly as it was.”
Vel nodded slowly.
Vel: “I understand what you are saying. I used to assume that because we were married, everything between us would somehow take care of itself. I did not pay enough attention to what you were feeling. I cannot change the past, but I can try to become more considerate. I know you may not feel the same way about me anymore, but I would still like the chance to understand what went wrong.”
Devi took a sip of coffee.
Devi: “Then start by listening. Do not assume that you know what I want. Ask me. Do not treat my silence as permission, and do not treat my disagreement as disrespect. If we are going to live under the same roof, we need honesty and clear boundaries. I will not promise you a future that I am uncertain about.”
Vel returned to the kitchen and continued preparing breakfast.
For the first time, he began to understand that he could not simply demand his wife's attention. If he wanted to rebuild trust, he would have to work for it.
Day 10 — The Husband in the Kitchen
That evening, Raj arrived at the house again.
Vel opened the door. He looked uncomfortable, but he stepped aside and allowed Raj to enter.
Vel: “Come in, Raj. Devi is in the hall. I do not want another argument today. I still find this situation painful, and I cannot pretend that I am happy about it. But I want to understand what is happening instead of shouting every time I see you here.”
Raj entered and sat down near Devi.
Raj: “I appreciate that, Vel. I know this is difficult for you. I care about Devi, and I want to spend time with her. But I will not decide her future for her. She must be free to make her own choices, and you must be free to decide what you can or cannot accept in this marriage.”
Devi looked at both men.
Devi: “That is exactly what I want. I am tired of living according to expectations that nobody discusses openly. Vel, you cannot demand that I return to the way things were simply because you are my husband. Raj, you cannot expect me to make every decision in your favour simply because you care about me. I will decide what I want, and I will be honest with both of you.”
Vel remained silent for a moment.
Vel: “Then I will try to respect that. I still love you, Devi, and I still hope we can repair our marriage. But I understand that I cannot force you to feel something you no longer feel. I will continue doing my share of the household work, and I will try to listen instead of arguing. I only ask that you be honest with me about what you want for the future.”
Devi looked at him thoughtfully.
Devi: “I will be honest. But you must also be prepared for an answer you may not like. For now, we will live with mutual respect. You can prepare dinner tonight if you wish. I appreciate the effort you are making, but remember that doing household work does not make you inferior. It makes you responsible for your share of our life together.”
Vel went back into the kitchen.
He chopped the vegetables, prepared the curry, and began cooking dinner. From the hall, he could hear Devi and Raj talking and laughing.
A wave of jealousy passed through him, but he tried not to let it turn into anger.
He had begun to accept a new reality: Devi would no longer allow him to dictate every part of her life.
Day 11 — Devi's Decision
The following evening, Devi sat with Raj in the hall while Vel finished preparing dinner.
Raj looked at her thoughtfully.
Raj: “Devi, I want to ask you something. Are you truly happy with the way things are developing? I do not want you to feel that you must prove your independence by making decisions you might later regret. I care about you, and I want whatever happens between us to be something you genuinely want.”
Devi smiled gently.
Devi: “I am beginning to understand myself better. For years, I thought being a wife meant putting my own feelings aside. Now I know that my feelings matter too. I want to spend time with you because I enjoy your company, not because I want to punish Vel. I need time to understand what I really want, and I do not want either of you making that decision for me.”
Raj nodded.
Raj: “Then take that time. I am not going to rush you. I want to be with you, but I want you to choose me freely.”
Vel entered the hall carrying a tray of food.
Vel: “Dinner is ready. I have prepared everything. Devi, I made the dish you like, and I have kept the spice level mild. Raj, you are welcome to join us if you wish.”
Devi looked at the tray and then at Vel.
Devi: “Thank you, Vel. Put it on the table. We can all sit down and eat. Things are not simple between us, but at least we can begin by treating one another with respect.”
Vel placed the tray on the table.
He had once believed that being a husband meant having the final word in his home. Now he was learning that a marriage could not survive on authority alone.
Devi had become more confident, more independent, and less willing to sacrifice her happiness for appearances. Raj had become an important part of her life, while Vel struggled to understand whether their marriage could still be repaired.
That evening, as the three of them sat down to dinner, one thing was certain.
The old rules of their household had disappeared.
A new chapter had begun.
My telegram id Msivamuruganm
Chapter 4 — The New Rules of the House
Day 9 — An Unexpected Scene
It was evening when Vel returned home.
He opened the door, expecting to find Devi alone, as usual. But the moment he entered the hall, he stopped in shock.
Devi was sitting comfortably on the sofa, with Raj sitting on her lap. She had one arm around his shoulder, and the two of them were laughing at something Raj had just said.
For several seconds, Vel simply stared at them.
Then his face hardened.
Vel: “Devi! What is going on here? Have you completely forgotten that you are my wife? I leave this house in the morning and come back in the evening, expecting at least a little peace, but instead I find another man sitting on your lap! And you are laughing as though there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Raj, get up immediately. I want an explanation from both of you!”
Devi did not immediately move away from Raj. She looked at Vel calmly, almost as if she had expected this confrontation sooner or later.
Devi: “Why are you shouting, Vel? You have just walked through the door, and already you are trying to control everyone in this house. Instead of asking me how I feel or why Raj is here, you immediately start giving orders. Have you ever wondered why I have become so distant from you? Have you ever thought about how lonely I have been? You are angry because you see me spending time with another man, but you never seemed concerned when I was sitting alone, waiting for you to notice me.”
Vel clenched his fists.
Vel: “Do not try to turn this around on me! I am your husband. I have every right to ask what is happening in my own marriage. Raj, I trusted you. You came here pretending to be a good friend, and now you are sitting on my wife's lap in front of me. Have you no shame?”
Raj slowly stood up, but he did not step away from Devi.
Raj: “Vel, you keep repeating that you are her husband as though those words give you ownership over her. Devi is a person, not a possession. You cannot ignore her feelings for years and suddenly expect her to behave exactly as you want when you discover that somebody else makes her happy. I did not force her to spend time with me. She chose to invite me into her life. If you have a problem with that, speak to her respectfully instead of shouting at both of us.”
Vel turned toward Devi again.
Vel: “So this is what you want now? You want Raj in your life, and you do not care what happens to our marriage? Tell me honestly, Devi. Is this man more important to you than I am?”
Devi finally stood up. She adjusted her clothes and looked directly into her husband's eyes.
Devi: “You want an honest answer? Yes, Raj has become very important to me. When I was lonely, he listened. When I wanted to talk, he gave me his time. When I laughed, he laughed with me. I began looking forward to seeing him because he made me feel like a person again, rather than someone who was simply waiting for her husband to come home. You may not like hearing that, Vel, but I will not lie to you just to protect your pride.”
Raj moved closer to Devi.
Raj: “And let me make one thing clear, Vel. I care about Devi, and I want to be part of her life. I am not going to pretend otherwise just because you are angry. She is the woman I want to be with, and I want a future with her. But I will not force her to choose anything. Her decision must be her own.”
Devi took Raj's hand.
Devi: “You heard him, Vel. Raj is important to me, and I am no longer going to hide my feelings simply because you might disapprove. If you want to remain in this house, you will have to learn to speak to me with respect. Things cannot continue the way they did before.”
Vel looked from Raj to Devi, struggling to understand how quickly his familiar world had changed.
Day 9 — The Question of Divorce
Vel sat down heavily on the sofa.
Vel: “If this is how you feel, then perhaps we should get a divorce. I cannot live in a marriage where my wife openly chooses another man and expects me to accept it. I would rather end this relationship than spend the rest of my life being humiliated in my own home.”
Devi's expression changed. She walked toward him and stood in front of the sofa.
Devi: “Divorce? You think you can simply announce that you want a divorce and walk away from everything? Listen carefully, Vel. I am not going to let you use divorce as a threat whenever you dislike my decisions. If you want to discuss the future of our marriage, we can discuss it properly. But you cannot frighten me into returning to the person I used to be.”
Vel: “Then what exactly do you expect from me? You want Raj to remain here, you want me to accept your relationship with him, and you want me to behave as though nothing has happened. How can you expect me to live like that? I have feelings too, Devi. I may have made mistakes, but that does not mean I have stopped being human.”
Devi looked at him for a long moment.
Devi: “I am not asking you to pretend that you have no feelings. You are free to express your feelings, just as I am free to express mine. But from now on, I will make decisions about my own life. You will not shout at me, dictate whom I can speak to, or expect me to give up my happiness simply because you are uncomfortable. If you choose to remain in this house, we will have to establish new boundaries and responsibilities.”
Raj stood beside her.
Raj: “Vel, nobody can make this decision for you, and nobody should make it for Devi either. If you want to discuss divorce, seek proper legal advice and understand your options. Do not make threats in the heat of the moment. Whatever happens, it should be handled honestly.”
Devi continued, her voice firm.
Devi: “And one more thing, Vel. Do not threaten me with divorce to frighten me, and do not expect me to make false accusations against you. I will not use a dowry case as a weapon, and I will not accept threats from you either. If there are genuine legal issues, they must be dealt with truthfully and through the proper legal process. I will not build my future on fear.”
Vel lowered his head.
For the first time that evening, he had nothing to say.
Day 10 — A Different Morning
The next morning, Vel woke up earlier than usual.
He went into the kitchen and began preparing coffee. He remembered how Devi liked it and carefully added the amount of sugar she usually preferred.
When he brought the cup into the hall, Devi was sitting on the sofa, checking her phone.
Vel: “Devi, I have made your coffee. I also thought I would prepare breakfast this morning. You can relax for a while. I know things have become difficult between us, and I am not expecting one cup of coffee to change anything. I just want to start taking responsibility for the things I have neglected.”
Devi accepted the cup.
Devi: “Thank you, Vel. But understand something. You do not have to become my servant to prove that you care about me. If you want to cook, cook. If you want to help around the house, help. We can divide the household responsibilities fairly. But do not do these things while secretly expecting me to reward you with affection or promise that I will return to the marriage exactly as it was.”
Vel nodded slowly.
Vel: “I understand what you are saying. I used to assume that because we were married, everything between us would somehow take care of itself. I did not pay enough attention to what you were feeling. I cannot change the past, but I can try to become more considerate. I know you may not feel the same way about me anymore, but I would still like the chance to understand what went wrong.”
Devi took a sip of coffee.
Devi: “Then start by listening. Do not assume that you know what I want. Ask me. Do not treat my silence as permission, and do not treat my disagreement as disrespect. If we are going to live under the same roof, we need honesty and clear boundaries. I will not promise you a future that I am uncertain about.”
Vel returned to the kitchen and continued preparing breakfast.
For the first time, he began to understand that he could not simply demand his wife's attention. If he wanted to rebuild trust, he would have to work for it.
Day 10 — The Husband in the Kitchen
That evening, Raj arrived at the house again.
Vel opened the door. He looked uncomfortable, but he stepped aside and allowed Raj to enter.
Vel: “Come in, Raj. Devi is in the hall. I do not want another argument today. I still find this situation painful, and I cannot pretend that I am happy about it. But I want to understand what is happening instead of shouting every time I see you here.”
Raj entered and sat down near Devi.
Raj: “I appreciate that, Vel. I know this is difficult for you. I care about Devi, and I want to spend time with her. But I will not decide her future for her. She must be free to make her own choices, and you must be free to decide what you can or cannot accept in this marriage.”
Devi looked at both men.
Devi: “That is exactly what I want. I am tired of living according to expectations that nobody discusses openly. Vel, you cannot demand that I return to the way things were simply because you are my husband. Raj, you cannot expect me to make every decision in your favour simply because you care about me. I will decide what I want, and I will be honest with both of you.”
Vel remained silent for a moment.
Vel: “Then I will try to respect that. I still love you, Devi, and I still hope we can repair our marriage. But I understand that I cannot force you to feel something you no longer feel. I will continue doing my share of the household work, and I will try to listen instead of arguing. I only ask that you be honest with me about what you want for the future.”
Devi looked at him thoughtfully.
Devi: “I will be honest. But you must also be prepared for an answer you may not like. For now, we will live with mutual respect. You can prepare dinner tonight if you wish. I appreciate the effort you are making, but remember that doing household work does not make you inferior. It makes you responsible for your share of our life together.”
Vel went back into the kitchen.
He chopped the vegetables, prepared the curry, and began cooking dinner. From the hall, he could hear Devi and Raj talking and laughing.
A wave of jealousy passed through him, but he tried not to let it turn into anger.
He had begun to accept a new reality: Devi would no longer allow him to dictate every part of her life.
Day 11 — Devi's Decision
The following evening, Devi sat with Raj in the hall while Vel finished preparing dinner.
Raj looked at her thoughtfully.
Raj: “Devi, I want to ask you something. Are you truly happy with the way things are developing? I do not want you to feel that you must prove your independence by making decisions you might later regret. I care about you, and I want whatever happens between us to be something you genuinely want.”
Devi smiled gently.
Devi: “I am beginning to understand myself better. For years, I thought being a wife meant putting my own feelings aside. Now I know that my feelings matter too. I want to spend time with you because I enjoy your company, not because I want to punish Vel. I need time to understand what I really want, and I do not want either of you making that decision for me.”
Raj nodded.
Raj: “Then take that time. I am not going to rush you. I want to be with you, but I want you to choose me freely.”
Vel entered the hall carrying a tray of food.
Vel: “Dinner is ready. I have prepared everything. Devi, I made the dish you like, and I have kept the spice level mild. Raj, you are welcome to join us if you wish.”
Devi looked at the tray and then at Vel.
Devi: “Thank you, Vel. Put it on the table. We can all sit down and eat. Things are not simple between us, but at least we can begin by treating one another with respect.”
Vel placed the tray on the table.
He had once believed that being a husband meant having the final word in his home. Now he was learning that a marriage could not survive on authority alone.
Devi had become more confident, more independent, and less willing to sacrifice her happiness for appearances. Raj had become an important part of her life, while Vel struggled to understand whether their marriage could still be repaired.
That evening, as the three of them sat down to dinner, one thing was certain.
The old rules of their household had disappeared.
A new chapter had begun.
My telegram id Msivamuruganm


![[+]](https://xossipy.com/themes/sharepoint/collapse_collapsed.png)