Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Sivamurugan 85
Chapter 3 — One Evening at a Time
Day 1 — No More Tuition
The next evening, Raj arrived at Devi's house with his books.
He stood near the doorway and smiled.
Raj: “Anni, shall we start today's tuition?”
Devi looked at the books in his hand and smiled.
Devi: “No, Raj. Put them away. I don't think we should continue this.”
Raj's smile disappeared.
Raj: “Did I do something wrong? If I wasn't studying properly, I'll concentrate from now on. I know I've been distracting you with all my talking, but I can change that.”
Devi: “That's not the reason. Actually, that's exactly the problem. Whenever you come here, we spend more time talking than studying. At first, I thought it was harmless. Then I started waiting for you to come. I started wondering why you hadn't arrived if you were late. I started feeling disappointed when you left. That's when I realized that this isn't really tuition anymore.”
Raj slowly put the books on the table.
Raj: “Then what is it?”
Devi sat down.
Devi: “I don't know what to call it. That's why I'm afraid of it. But I know one thing. I don't want you to come here pretending to be my student. I want you to come because you want to spend time with me.”
Raj sat opposite her.
Raj: “I've wanted to say the same thing for a long time. I stopped coming here because Anna asked me to help you. I started coming because I wanted to see you. I would finish my work and think about coming here. Sometimes I would even make up a reason to visit because I didn't know how else to tell you that I simply wanted to be around you.”
Devi looked at him quietly.
Devi: “And I started waiting for you.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Then tomorrow, I'll come without the books.”
Devi: “Good.”
Raj: “Where are we going?”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “You said you like the beach.”
Raj: “I do.”
Devi: “Then take me there.”
---
Day 2 — The Beach
The next evening, Raj and Devi walked along the beach.
The waves were coming in gently.
They walked without speaking for some time.
Finally, Devi spoke.
Devi: “Raj, I feel strange today. I haven't done anything wrong, but I feel like I'm doing something I shouldn't. Maybe it's because I've never spent time like this with anyone after my marriage.”
Raj: “If you feel uncomfortable, we can go home. I don't want you to do anything simply because I want it.”
Devi: “That's why I feel comfortable with you. You always give me the choice. You don't force me to answer questions. You don't force me to stay. You don't even force me to talk. Somehow that makes me want to stay.”
Raj: “Then stay.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “You make everything sound simple.”
Raj: “Because sometimes it is simple. You're lonely. I'm here. We talk. We laugh. We spend time together. We don't have to decide what tomorrow will look like.”
Devi: “But I keep thinking about Vel.”
Raj became quiet.
Raj: “You don't have to talk about him if it hurts.”
Devi: “I'm not talking because I miss him. I'm talking because I feel guilty that I don't miss him as much anymore.”
Raj looked at her.
Devi: “Earlier, if Vel didn't call, I couldn't sleep properly. I would keep checking my phone. Now I'm standing here with you, and I haven't even looked at my phone once. That's what scares me.”
Raj: “Maybe your heart is tired of waiting.”
Devi looked at the sea.
Devi: “Maybe.”
---
Day 3 — The Park
The following evening, they went to the park.
They sat on a bench beneath a tree.
Raj took a cigarette from his pocket.
Devi noticed it.
Devi: “You smoke?”
Raj: “Sometimes.”
Devi: “I noticed you doing it before, but I never asked.”
Raj hesitated.
Raj: “I don't want you to start because of me.”
Devi: “I didn't say I wanted to.”
Raj lit his cigarette.
Devi watched him quietly.
Devi: “Why do you smoke when you're thinking?”
Raj: “It's just a habit. Don't make it sound romantic.”
Devi laughed.
Devi: “I'm not. I'm just curious.”
Raj looked at her.
Raj: “You really are curious about everything.”
Devi: “Maybe because I didn't have anyone to talk to for a long time.”
Raj became serious.
Raj: “Then talk to me. You don't need a cigarette or anything else to talk to me.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “I know.”
She paused.
Devi: “But I want to understand the things you do. Not because I want to copy you. Because I want to know you better.”
Raj nodded.
Raj: “Then ask me anything.”
---
Day 4 — At Home
That evening, Raj came to Devi's house.
They sat in the hall for a long time.
Devi: “Raj, do you ever think about what people would say if they knew how much time we spend together?”
Raj: “Of course I do. But I don't want our entire life to be decided by other people's opinions.”
Devi: “I agree. But I also don't want to hurt anyone.”
Raj: “Neither do I. That's why I'm not asking you to do anything you're not ready for. I just want to be honest about how I feel. I like being with you. I like talking to you. I like seeing you smile. When you are upset, I want to know why. When you are happy, I want to know what made you happy.”
Devi looked at him.
Devi: “Do you know what I like most?”
Raj: “What?”
Devi: “You notice when I'm quiet.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Because I've started paying attention to you.”
Devi: “And I've started paying attention to you too.”
There was a long silence.
Raj: “Devi, I think we're getting closer.”
Devi: “I know.”
Raj: “Are you afraid?”
Devi: “A little.”
Raj: “And yet you're still sitting here.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “Yes. I'm still here.”
---
Day 5 — Another Evening at the Park
Raj and Devi met again.
Raj sat beside her and looked at the cigarette in his hand.
Devi noticed.
Devi: “You can smoke if you want.”
Raj: “Are you sure?”
Devi: “Yes.”
She watched him for a moment.
Devi: “Can I try one?”
Raj immediately looked at her.
Raj: “Are you serious?”
Devi: “I'm curious. That's all.”
Raj: “Devi, don't do it just because you think it will make you closer to me.”
Devi: “I'm not doing it for you. I simply want to know what it's like.”
Raj hesitated before giving her one.
Devi tried it briefly and immediately coughed.
Raj laughed.
Devi: “Don't laugh!”
Raj: “I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. You looked completely shocked.”
Devi: “It tastes horrible.”
Raj: “Then don't do it again.”
Devi: “Maybe I won't.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Good.”
Devi looked at him.
Devi: “You were actually worried.”
Raj: “Of course I was. I don't want you changing yourself just to fit into my world.”
Devi: “Maybe I don't want to fit into your world.”
Raj looked at her.
Devi: “Maybe I want us to create our own little world.”
Raj smiled.
---
Day 6 — The Theatre
They went to the theatre that evening.
After the movie, they sat outside and talked.
Devi: “I enjoyed today.”
Raj: “The movie?”
Devi: “The whole evening. I liked sitting beside you. I liked laughing with you. I liked having someone to share an ordinary evening with.”
Raj: “Then we'll do it again.”
Devi: “You say that as if we have unlimited time.”
Raj: “We don't know how much time we have. That's exactly why I don't want to waste every evening worrying about tomorrow.”
Devi looked at him.
Devi: “I think I'm beginning to understand you.”
Raj: “And I'm beginning to understand you.”
Devi: “That's dangerous.”
Raj: “Why?”
Devi: “Because when two people understand each other too well, they can become difficult to separate.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Maybe that's already happening.”
Devi didn't disagree.
---
Day 7 — A Drink
That evening, they were sitting at Devi's house.
Raj had brought a drink.
Devi noticed.
Devi: “You've been drinking?”
Raj: “Occasionally.”
Devi: “I've never really had it.”
Raj: “Then you don't have to.”
Devi: “I know. But I'm curious again.”
Raj looked at her carefully.
Raj: “Only if you're comfortable. And don't think drinking will solve anything you're feeling.”
Devi: “I don't think it will. I just want to try something once.”
She took a small sip.
She made a face.
Raj laughed.
Devi: “Again?”
Raj: “Sorry. I can't help it.”
Devi: “You laughed when I tried smoking too.”
Raj: “Because your expressions are funny.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “Maybe I'll learn slowly.”
Raj: “You don't have to learn anything for me.”
Devi: “I know. But I want to experience things with you.”
Raj became quiet.
Raj: “That's what makes this different.”
---
Day 8 — The Beach Again
They returned to the beach.
Devi walked beside Raj comfortably.
She wasn't checking her phone.
Raj noticed.
Raj: “You haven't checked your phone once.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “I know.”
Raj: “No message from Vel?”
Devi: “I don't know.”
Raj: “You don't want to know?”
Devi stopped walking.
Devi: “That's the truth. I used to want his attention so badly. Now I don't even want to check whether he's given it to me. I don't know whether that's wrong or right. I only know that something inside me has changed.”
Raj didn't say anything.
Devi continued.
Devi: “When I come out with you, I don't feel like someone's wife waiting for her husband. I feel like Devi. Just Devi. A woman who can laugh, talk, walk by the sea, watch a movie, sit in a park and enjoy an evening. I had forgotten that person existed.”
Raj: “Then don't let her disappear again.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “I won't.”
Raj looked at her.
Raj: “And what am I to you now?”
Devi thought for a moment.
Devi: “You're the person I look forward to seeing.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “That's enough for me.”
They continued walking.
The evening became darker.
The waves continued to move toward the shore.
And Devi realized that she wasn't thinking about Vel anymore.
She was thinking about tomorrow.
And she knew exactly who she wanted tomorrow to be with.
Raj.
My telegram id Msivamuruganm
Chapter 3 — One Evening at a Time
Day 1 — No More Tuition
The next evening, Raj arrived at Devi's house with his books.
He stood near the doorway and smiled.
Raj: “Anni, shall we start today's tuition?”
Devi looked at the books in his hand and smiled.
Devi: “No, Raj. Put them away. I don't think we should continue this.”
Raj's smile disappeared.
Raj: “Did I do something wrong? If I wasn't studying properly, I'll concentrate from now on. I know I've been distracting you with all my talking, but I can change that.”
Devi: “That's not the reason. Actually, that's exactly the problem. Whenever you come here, we spend more time talking than studying. At first, I thought it was harmless. Then I started waiting for you to come. I started wondering why you hadn't arrived if you were late. I started feeling disappointed when you left. That's when I realized that this isn't really tuition anymore.”
Raj slowly put the books on the table.
Raj: “Then what is it?”
Devi sat down.
Devi: “I don't know what to call it. That's why I'm afraid of it. But I know one thing. I don't want you to come here pretending to be my student. I want you to come because you want to spend time with me.”
Raj sat opposite her.
Raj: “I've wanted to say the same thing for a long time. I stopped coming here because Anna asked me to help you. I started coming because I wanted to see you. I would finish my work and think about coming here. Sometimes I would even make up a reason to visit because I didn't know how else to tell you that I simply wanted to be around you.”
Devi looked at him quietly.
Devi: “And I started waiting for you.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Then tomorrow, I'll come without the books.”
Devi: “Good.”
Raj: “Where are we going?”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “You said you like the beach.”
Raj: “I do.”
Devi: “Then take me there.”
---
Day 2 — The Beach
The next evening, Raj and Devi walked along the beach.
The waves were coming in gently.
They walked without speaking for some time.
Finally, Devi spoke.
Devi: “Raj, I feel strange today. I haven't done anything wrong, but I feel like I'm doing something I shouldn't. Maybe it's because I've never spent time like this with anyone after my marriage.”
Raj: “If you feel uncomfortable, we can go home. I don't want you to do anything simply because I want it.”
Devi: “That's why I feel comfortable with you. You always give me the choice. You don't force me to answer questions. You don't force me to stay. You don't even force me to talk. Somehow that makes me want to stay.”
Raj: “Then stay.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “You make everything sound simple.”
Raj: “Because sometimes it is simple. You're lonely. I'm here. We talk. We laugh. We spend time together. We don't have to decide what tomorrow will look like.”
Devi: “But I keep thinking about Vel.”
Raj became quiet.
Raj: “You don't have to talk about him if it hurts.”
Devi: “I'm not talking because I miss him. I'm talking because I feel guilty that I don't miss him as much anymore.”
Raj looked at her.
Devi: “Earlier, if Vel didn't call, I couldn't sleep properly. I would keep checking my phone. Now I'm standing here with you, and I haven't even looked at my phone once. That's what scares me.”
Raj: “Maybe your heart is tired of waiting.”
Devi looked at the sea.
Devi: “Maybe.”
---
Day 3 — The Park
The following evening, they went to the park.
They sat on a bench beneath a tree.
Raj took a cigarette from his pocket.
Devi noticed it.
Devi: “You smoke?”
Raj: “Sometimes.”
Devi: “I noticed you doing it before, but I never asked.”
Raj hesitated.
Raj: “I don't want you to start because of me.”
Devi: “I didn't say I wanted to.”
Raj lit his cigarette.
Devi watched him quietly.
Devi: “Why do you smoke when you're thinking?”
Raj: “It's just a habit. Don't make it sound romantic.”
Devi laughed.
Devi: “I'm not. I'm just curious.”
Raj looked at her.
Raj: “You really are curious about everything.”
Devi: “Maybe because I didn't have anyone to talk to for a long time.”
Raj became serious.
Raj: “Then talk to me. You don't need a cigarette or anything else to talk to me.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “I know.”
She paused.
Devi: “But I want to understand the things you do. Not because I want to copy you. Because I want to know you better.”
Raj nodded.
Raj: “Then ask me anything.”
---
Day 4 — At Home
That evening, Raj came to Devi's house.
They sat in the hall for a long time.
Devi: “Raj, do you ever think about what people would say if they knew how much time we spend together?”
Raj: “Of course I do. But I don't want our entire life to be decided by other people's opinions.”
Devi: “I agree. But I also don't want to hurt anyone.”
Raj: “Neither do I. That's why I'm not asking you to do anything you're not ready for. I just want to be honest about how I feel. I like being with you. I like talking to you. I like seeing you smile. When you are upset, I want to know why. When you are happy, I want to know what made you happy.”
Devi looked at him.
Devi: “Do you know what I like most?”
Raj: “What?”
Devi: “You notice when I'm quiet.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Because I've started paying attention to you.”
Devi: “And I've started paying attention to you too.”
There was a long silence.
Raj: “Devi, I think we're getting closer.”
Devi: “I know.”
Raj: “Are you afraid?”
Devi: “A little.”
Raj: “And yet you're still sitting here.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “Yes. I'm still here.”
---
Day 5 — Another Evening at the Park
Raj and Devi met again.
Raj sat beside her and looked at the cigarette in his hand.
Devi noticed.
Devi: “You can smoke if you want.”
Raj: “Are you sure?”
Devi: “Yes.”
She watched him for a moment.
Devi: “Can I try one?”
Raj immediately looked at her.
Raj: “Are you serious?”
Devi: “I'm curious. That's all.”
Raj: “Devi, don't do it just because you think it will make you closer to me.”
Devi: “I'm not doing it for you. I simply want to know what it's like.”
Raj hesitated before giving her one.
Devi tried it briefly and immediately coughed.
Raj laughed.
Devi: “Don't laugh!”
Raj: “I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. You looked completely shocked.”
Devi: “It tastes horrible.”
Raj: “Then don't do it again.”
Devi: “Maybe I won't.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Good.”
Devi looked at him.
Devi: “You were actually worried.”
Raj: “Of course I was. I don't want you changing yourself just to fit into my world.”
Devi: “Maybe I don't want to fit into your world.”
Raj looked at her.
Devi: “Maybe I want us to create our own little world.”
Raj smiled.
---
Day 6 — The Theatre
They went to the theatre that evening.
After the movie, they sat outside and talked.
Devi: “I enjoyed today.”
Raj: “The movie?”
Devi: “The whole evening. I liked sitting beside you. I liked laughing with you. I liked having someone to share an ordinary evening with.”
Raj: “Then we'll do it again.”
Devi: “You say that as if we have unlimited time.”
Raj: “We don't know how much time we have. That's exactly why I don't want to waste every evening worrying about tomorrow.”
Devi looked at him.
Devi: “I think I'm beginning to understand you.”
Raj: “And I'm beginning to understand you.”
Devi: “That's dangerous.”
Raj: “Why?”
Devi: “Because when two people understand each other too well, they can become difficult to separate.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “Maybe that's already happening.”
Devi didn't disagree.
---
Day 7 — A Drink
That evening, they were sitting at Devi's house.
Raj had brought a drink.
Devi noticed.
Devi: “You've been drinking?”
Raj: “Occasionally.”
Devi: “I've never really had it.”
Raj: “Then you don't have to.”
Devi: “I know. But I'm curious again.”
Raj looked at her carefully.
Raj: “Only if you're comfortable. And don't think drinking will solve anything you're feeling.”
Devi: “I don't think it will. I just want to try something once.”
She took a small sip.
She made a face.
Raj laughed.
Devi: “Again?”
Raj: “Sorry. I can't help it.”
Devi: “You laughed when I tried smoking too.”
Raj: “Because your expressions are funny.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “Maybe I'll learn slowly.”
Raj: “You don't have to learn anything for me.”
Devi: “I know. But I want to experience things with you.”
Raj became quiet.
Raj: “That's what makes this different.”
---
Day 8 — The Beach Again
They returned to the beach.
Devi walked beside Raj comfortably.
She wasn't checking her phone.
Raj noticed.
Raj: “You haven't checked your phone once.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “I know.”
Raj: “No message from Vel?”
Devi: “I don't know.”
Raj: “You don't want to know?”
Devi stopped walking.
Devi: “That's the truth. I used to want his attention so badly. Now I don't even want to check whether he's given it to me. I don't know whether that's wrong or right. I only know that something inside me has changed.”
Raj didn't say anything.
Devi continued.
Devi: “When I come out with you, I don't feel like someone's wife waiting for her husband. I feel like Devi. Just Devi. A woman who can laugh, talk, walk by the sea, watch a movie, sit in a park and enjoy an evening. I had forgotten that person existed.”
Raj: “Then don't let her disappear again.”
Devi smiled.
Devi: “I won't.”
Raj looked at her.
Raj: “And what am I to you now?”
Devi thought for a moment.
Devi: “You're the person I look forward to seeing.”
Raj smiled.
Raj: “That's enough for me.”
They continued walking.
The evening became darker.
The waves continued to move toward the shore.
And Devi realized that she wasn't thinking about Vel anymore.
She was thinking about tomorrow.
And she knew exactly who she wanted tomorrow to be with.
Raj.
My telegram id Msivamuruganm



![[+]](https://xossipy.com/themes/sharepoint/collapse_collapsed.png)