Romance Sweethearts... a love story --- p1lover1
It's funny, this thing called life. How things go around in a circle. How things happen unexpectedly- both good and bad. Some people call it karma, or fate, or like Paulo Coleho said in 'The Alchemist', maktub- it's meant to be.

10 hours of train journey, and an additional 2 hours of bus ride can suck the life out of you. All you want to do after a long journey is take a long hot shower, have a nice meal, get plenty of rest, and then rest some more, just in case.
But apparently my mother felt otherwise.
And so, I was dragged to a wedding just a couple of hours since my arrival.
That's how I ended up in a near empty marriage hall at 5:30 in the evening, two hours before the reception was scheduled to begin, listening to my i-pod.
I lazily looked around trying to spot some familiar faces. I wasn't new to this locality. I had lived here among these people for the first eleven years of my life, before my parents had to move. But that was eight years ago. Things change in eight years. Things change a lot. I wondered if people here recognize me anymore. I wondered if She would recognize me now.

'Rajesh!'
I opened my eyes to find my mom standing in front of me.
'Come' she said 'I want you to meet someone'
I got up, put my i-pod away and followed my mom into the bride's room. It was a small room. The bride was still not ready yet, and was surrounded by a bunch of women of all ages. It looked like they were having a good time, making fun of the bride, but stopped once I entered the room. The bride turned towards me, and smiled.
'My! Look how much you've grown!' she said, visibly excited. 'the last time i saw you, you were this tall' she said, holding her hand about 3 feet off the ground. 'Now you look like you're taller than me!'
'Do you remember who this is?' my mom asked me, smiling. I thought for a while, but couldn't recall who that was.
'No, sorry' I replied. With a apologetic smile.
Just then, the bride's sister entered the room. 'Akka! The car is ready to take you to the parlour...' she said walking up to the bride.
'Wait' she said to her sister. 'Do you remember who this is?' the bride asked both of us. We just stood staring at each other.
The bride's sister. She was wearing a beautiful white figure hugging salwar, which accentuated all her curves. Her long jet black hair complemented her dress. Then I looked at her face. She seemed vaguely familiar, but I just couldn't recog...
'Wait a minute!' I was smiling, like I had found a treasure. 'Nila?' I said, with a little hesitation. Damn! It was her. She was here!? Then I looked at the bride. 'Sudha akka!'
My mom and the bride were smiling.
'So. You haven't forgotten us...' Sudha akka said, pulling my cheeks like she always did. 'Don't you remember Rajesh?' she said turning to Nila. 'You guys used to play together when you were young...'
'Oh! Rajesh' Nila exclaimed. 'How are you! Gosh! How long has it been? Eight years?' she said, hugging me. I hugged her back. I had missed her warm embrace. I had missed her.
'Why don't you take him to meet your old friends' my mom suggested.

'Everyone's gonna be so happy to see you...' she said walking me out of the room.
'Eight years huh?' she said.
'Yup. Long time' i replied looking at her. She was even more beautiful than i remembered. She had grown her hair long, it was flowing all the way to her waist. She had grown tall, almost as tall as me! Her body was well structured, and was curvy in all the right places. Puberty had been good to her, very good in fact. I wondered if she had any boyfriends?
'What are you looking at?' she asked me, giving me a strange look. I just realized that I'd been staring at her the whole time. Shit!
'Um... Nothing' I said looking away 'It's just that you've grown so much! I can hardly recognize you any more.'
'Aww... I almost didn't recognize you either, you know with the mustache and all... What's up with the mustache anyway?' she asked pointing at my mustache.
'Oh!' I said, touching it. 'I just like it this way. Why, don't you like it?'
'It's not that, Keep it. It looks good on you.'
I wanted to ask her if she had a boyfriend. But i didn't know if it would be appropriate. What the hell, I just decided to ask her anyway.
'Hey Nila... Do you...'
'There they are! Come' She cut me off in the middle of the sentence, and yanked me towards our friends.
There they were- three of my best buddies- Suresh, Danny, and JJ.
'There she is!' Danny said looking at Nila. 'Hey darling! Whats up?' He said hugging her.
I was devastated! My best friend, and my girl? Shit.
'You guys remember him?' she asked them. Only Suresh recognized me, but that was because we were friends on Facebook.
'I've got to go take care of a ton of work.' Nila said 'You boys play nice' she said and bid us goodbye. I couldn't take my eyes off her as she walked away. I couldn't believe she was with Danny. I couldn't believe she was with anyone else other than me, not after all that had happened between us...
'So. How was boarding school?' Danny asked me. And that started a long conversation. It was fun catching up on old times.
[+] 5 users Like ddey333's post
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sweethearts... a love story --- p1lover1 - by ddey333 - 22-10-2022, 03:25 PM