Fantasy So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter
Contessas Helena and Maria de San Finzione stood on one of Castle Finzione's many balconies; the Speech Balcony, used for addressing crowds in the courtyard below. Both wore emerald-green royal robes, with full capes wrapped around and trailing behind them.

A single State Television camera covered the ceremony. Maria wore La Contessa's tiara. It was a bit large for her head, because Maria hadn't bothered getting it fitted, reasoning that she wouldn't be wearing it for long. She picked the gold scepter up from it's case and walked over to where her Great-Grandmama was standing in front of a table. Maria stood on the opposite side of the table and faced Helena.

"Will you accept this scepter," Maria asked, as she placed it on the table before Helena. "Which shows all the world that you are La Contessa de San Finzione, ruler and servant of the People of San Finzione, and monarch of the Sovereign County and Independent Nation-State of San Finzione?"

Helena smiled. There wasn't a real formal ceremony for this, but the people expected something. The "and servant" had been something that Vincenzo had added to the title.

"I will." Helena replied, picking it up. She set it back down again, because she'd need both hands to put on the tiara.

"And will you accept this tiara," Maria continued, removing it and placing it on the table. "Which shows the all the world that you are Contessa Helena de San Finzione, Matriarch of La Familia de San Finzione; ruler, defender, and servant of the People of San Finzione and her lands, seas, and skies?"

"I will." Helena replied, taking the tiara, and placing it on her own head. Since it had already been fitted for her to begin with, it fit again this time.

"And will you keep and protect these things which are yours, to show all the world that you belong to them and they belong to you?"

"This, I will not do." Helena responded.

Maria paused. They hadn't really scripted anything, just ironed out that Maria would ask her something as she gave her each one, and she'd accept it. There hadn't been a script for Helen to go off in the first place, but nonetheless, she was doing it.

"I will keep and protect these things which are YOURS. To show all the world that I belong to you, and they belong to you, Dearest One."

Contessa Helena de San Finzione and Lady Maria de San Finzione hugged. Behind them in the distance, Jeanne wheeled her new drink trolley past, wearing her maid's uniform and the videophone helmet that Helen had taken from Whyte.

The State cameraman packed up and left, and the tiara and scepter were returned to their cases.

Contessa Helena de San Finzione lay alone in bed. Jeanne had already given her a proper "welcome home," and retired for the night. She lay naked on top of the blankets. The night was warm enough not to need them.

She looked down at her body. At the places where plastic surgeons had been able to remove the scars, but she would always know where they were. Her hand reached up to the one that she couldn't see anyway, but she could certainly feel; the one on her throat, where Frank Morgan nearly finished her for good, if it hadn't been for Vincenzo's necklace.

She held up the chain. Let the bauble dangle between her breasts and looked at it in the moonlight. Vincenzo gave it to her on her second, and last, birthday with him. Helen removed the necklace and set it on her nightstand, next to a small blue envelope that hadn't been sealed, so it stood like a little tent. She moved the tent over onto the necklace.

Helena closed her eyes and went to sleep.

Like, Comment and Give Rating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter - by Ramesh_Rocky - 28-04-2019, 02:15 PM