Fantasy So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter
Denise watched La Contessa turn her head slightly and her arm move under the podium. She moved around the reporters to follow her gaze and saw Julie walking out, just as stunning as the moment they'd met. Denise hadn't seen Julie's outfit before and figured she must have bought it while shopping with La Contessa yesterday. Helen had told Denise that "Helena" would be fine, but she still couldn't reconcile it in her head. Denise's friend Julie was walking up to a bunch of microphones and standing next to Contessa Helena de San Finzione; the woman she'd even recognized that she'd spent far too many hours asking Julie about.

"The artist I am about to introduce you to," La Contessa continued, taking Julie's hand in a friendly way. "is my oldest, dearest friend in the world; and quite possibly, one of the most talented artists in it, Julie Equals, ladies and gentlemen." She gave a moment for the scattered applause before continuing. "Julie had a very successful showing of her paintings in Spokane a couple of months ago, which is where some of you may remember her. I'm proud to say that at least one Julie Equals painting hangs prominently at Castle Finzione." She turned to Julie and bumped her hand. "And I'm even more proud to say that last night, I managed to acquire a couple of new additions to my collection of Julie Equals originals."

Julie smiled. Helen turned back to the media.

"So yes, I'm spending time planning a big debut for her and catching up with my dear old friend. I know that she's been in the Seattle area not even two years yet, but Julie's also been mentoring a young art student, as well. In fact, I believe that's her protégé coming up the street now.

The reporters turned as one to face Denise. Many had their cameras pointed directly at her.

"Don't be shy, Denise. Come on up here. Let her through, everyone." She felt the voice as much as heard it. Felt the reassurance that she had La Contessa's attention, and that she was wanted, and shouldn't be shy. The reporters cleared a path for her as she walked her bike up to the podium, dropping it on the Equals' lawn.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Press," Helena continued. "Denise Cole, my friend's protégé. Dear friend of mine, too. Tell them how we met, Denise."

Helen smiled at Denise, lifting up her sunglasses to show her eyes; and in that moment, something changed in La Contessa for the girl. It was as though La Contessa had been wearing a mask for the cameras since before Denise got here, and she'd pulled up her mask to smile and say hi before pulling it back down. Her smile changed back to the one she'd been giving the crowd. Helena was different in her eyes now. Not diminished; if anything, made more real. The powerful woman she saw on TV who'd just said her name and now had Denise on Holy Shit, Fucking Television, had just shared a secret with her, in front of a crowd of reporters who didn't catch a moment of it: "Don't be fooled, I'm a real girl like you under all this fancy stuff, and I get how totally weird this is. Just follow my lead and everything'll be cool."
Like, Comment and Give Rating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter - by Ramesh_Rocky - 26-04-2019, 02:45 PM