Fantasy So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter
So Night Follows Day Pt. 10

"He took little Suzy to the Junior Prom.

'Excitable boy,' they all said. (Excitable Boy!)

And he bangd her, and killed her, then he took her home.

Well, he's just an excitable boy.

After ten long years, they let him out of the home.

And he dug up her grave, and built a cage with her bones.

Well, he's just an excitable boy."

-Warren Zevon, "Excitable Boy"

Marisol Velasquez stepped up to the express elevator to the penthouse of the Seattle Hotel de San Finzione. She placed her hand on a palmprint scanner and spoke loudly into a speaker.

"Velasquez!" She barked at the speaker. "Marisol, Primo Tenente, Squadra de Ultimados! Quattro-Dos-Tres-Seis-Uno-Cero-Cinco!" A green light blinked, and the elevator started rapidly descending to the ground floor from the hotel's La Contessa suite. It, like the penthouse of all Società Finzione hotels, was secured to Contessa Helena's specifications. This included access for members of La Squadra de Ultimados, San Finzione's elite Special Forces unit, and La Contessa's personal guard.

"So, you can just walk into any room?" Susan Bailey asked as they waited, trying to reach Helen on her phone, but going to voicemail.

"Si. It is in the fine print when a room is rented." She replied.

Mander shifted the large pistol he had tucked into his belt in a position better for drawing than securing in a crowd. From a pocket of his cargo shorts, he pulled a pair of dark sunglasses with John Lennon frames and put them on.

"I'd feel better if either of ya was armed." He said as the doors opened.

"No need." Velasquez replied, entering.

Susan dug in her purse and pulled out a spray bottle as she got in the elevator.

"Pepper spray?" He asked.

"Claire and I work in Tacoma. Julie bought us some bear spray when we went to Alaska for the wedding. We found out the mix for bears is actually weaker than the one for humans and that led to Troy looking up brands and models until he found us the strongest, best one."

"All right, then maybe, yeah. They let ya on a plane wit' 'at stuff?" Mander asked.

"They let Julie on planes with it. Probably me by now, too."

"Right," he replied, pushing the Close Doors button. "You got 'at thing 'Er Countessness' got. too. Ok, then, jes'... try to stay in the middle of us, right?"

"Always one of us in front of you." Susan said in an attempt at Generalissimo Ramirez's voice. "Always one of us behind."

The doors closed.

Contessa Helena de San Finzione ended her call with Generalissimo Hernando Ramirez.

"Looks like Whyte's been busy looking for mercenaries who've lost their hearing." She said to Julie Equals as they stood in the Equals-Bailey household's kitchen.

"There can't be too many of them, can there?" Julie asked. She was preparing a tray from the barbecue across the street for her husband, Troy Equals, who was still at his library computer.

"Guys like Mander can be found in the classifieds of Soldier of Fortune." Helen said, staring at the jars in their refrigerator, trying to figure which was the relish jar that Julie wanted. "Mander's just smarter than most, and that's why I like him. Guys who USED to be like him until they got too close to a grenade or something? Then they couldn't hear orders anymore; so those 'rotten tossers' he told us about had no further use for them? Who were kicked to the curb without any OTHER skills than 'doin' 'orrible things' because rotten tossers pay them? And who'd jump at the chance to make that kind of money again? Harder to find, maybe, but certainly out there."

Julie thought for a moment. Then reached over into the refrigerator and grabbed the jar of relish that Helen had been staring at.

"I can't decide if that's cruel or enlightened?" She said as she opened it. "I'll get the mustard."

Helen went back to puzzling over the contents of the refrigerator and held her hand up.

"No, no, I'll get it. Mustard, right? Well, we're talking about Whyte here, so probably cruel. He wanted Springheel because the world is just the right level of fucked for his liking and his profit margin. Now, I believe him when he says he needs it because it's the only thing that will protect him from me."

"That's probably why he's staying in the shadows." Julie said, getting frustrated with Helen's determination to find the right bottle, and reaching past her to grab it.

"I wanted to do that!" Helen said, spinning around.

Julie squeezed some mustard onto a hot dog. It made a messy blob at the beginning.

"Well, get me a butter knife, then." Julie said, putting them back as Helen walked over to the silverware drawer. "But yeah, he knows he's got to stay on the move, keep rerouting his phone calls and everything; because the moment you find out where he is, an Ultimado puts a round through his head or you walk up and say 'don't move,' and he's finished. And Goddammit, Helen, that's a carving knife! You dine with Presidents and Kings, you know the difference between a shrimp fork, a salad fork, and a dessert fork! How do you not know what a butter knife is?"
Like, Comment and Give Rating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter - by Ramesh_Rocky - 10-04-2019, 11:15 AM