Fantasy As Day Follows Night by TMaskedWriter
The hall of paintings and antiques emptied into the grand ballroom. Streamers hung from crystal chandeliers and a live orchestra was playing something by Vivaldi. Emerald-Green banners of the House of San Finzione hung from the ceilings. La Contessa had not made her entrance, so no one was on the dance floor yet, mostly congregating close to the bar. A reporter from a local paper who'd been allowed past the press line and into the castle for the presentation photos was interviewing someone from the historical society that tonight's ball was ostensibly being held to benefit. Two long dining tables held a buffet and a quantity of gift bags.

Julie surveyed the scene, all the tailored suits and designer gowns, and said "Ok, see, if the door had opened to reveal this, that would have been cooler."

Julie and Maria found a table close to the dance floor while Troy went up to the bar to get drinks for them. Maria turned everyone's chairs to face the grand staircase leading down to the ballroom with a balcony halfway down. "That where La Contessa make her entrance," she told Julie.

Julie looked closer at the crowd and saw some faces she recognized: the odd movie or sports star, a politician or two from back home, nobles from some of the countries she'd visited with Helen, a musician she'd met during her "I can do what we do to get backstage" phase. A lot of the faces, she'd seen on the news, not all in a good context either.

When Troy returned to the table, a server ran over to the conductor of the orchestra and whispered something in his ear. The music stopped. Another server ushered the reporter and the man from the historical society up to the grand balcony. Maria stood, nudged Troy and Julie to do the same, and looked toward the grand staircase.

The musicians all stood and began playing the national anthem of San Finzione. All conversation ceased as the crowd also stood to attention and faced the staircase to see Contessa Helena de San Finzione descend the stairs; the sound of the photographer's camera the only audible sound except for the music.

Her ankle-length gown was the same emerald-green as the banners and the family crest. The plunging neckline stopped just a few inches above her navel. A jeweled overlay of swirling patterns of silver danced around the gown from her waist up, completing the strapless number. A necklace of emeralds hung from her neck and emerald studs decorated her ears. The outfit culminated in an emerald tiara. The Count's wedding ring was still on her left hand and her right bore an emerald signet identical to Maria's.

She came to a stop at the grand balcony, where the reporter and the historical society rep were waiting. An open microphone and a giant check on a stand were waiting for her. Polite applause spread around the room as she stepped up and took the microphone, looking out over the crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen, honored guests, welcome to Castle Finzione. I am Contessa Helena de San Finzione. I've met many of you, and those I haven't have undoubtedly heard the tale of a simple American girl who won the heart of my dear, departed husband, Count Vincenzo."

She paused. Troy and Julie stifled the urge to laugh. She continued.

"Since the day the Count took my hand, it has been my privilege to walk this castle's halls and serve the people who look up to it from the city below every day. I spend my days walking amongst history, happy to be a part of it, and hoping my chapter will be a good one. I may come from a place with less than 500 years of history; however, I like to think this makes me appreciate it all the more."

She went to grab the check, then realized she'd need both hands and returned the mic to the stand. She gave a little sheepish "what're ya gonna do" gesture to the crowd and got a small laugh as she took the check and brought it back to the microphone.

"And that's why I have gathered you all here tonight. Well, one of the reasons. Because the work of the National Historic Preservation Society of San Finzione is important to me on that personal of a level, I present this check for 50,000 Euros to Signor Miguel Riviera, president of the society. Signor Riviera, I hope this money helps continue your good works and look forward to visiting the historic sites you plan to restore."
Like, Comment and Give Rating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: As Day Follows Night by TMaskedWriter - by Ramesh_Rocky - 03-04-2019, 04:41 PM