Fantasy So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter
"We saw someone jump 50 feet from a helicopter in the thing and bounce away unharmed. You know those old jokes about 'Why don't they build the whole plane out of the black box?' No, we should be making planes and cars with THAT stuff, whatever it is. I want Springheel so I can have my science people dismantle it and see what we can learn from everything that went into it. Put that technology to use that Vincenzo and Propappou would be proud of."

Troy stood up and looked at her.

"Ok, Helen. Now I know. You would not invoke those names if you had any interest in it as the 'ultimate assassination tool' that they're promising. You just want to learn from it, not make more."

Helen stood up and tilted her head up to look Troy in the eye.

"My interest in its potential for assassination is entirely the opposite, Troy. Remember our conversation about who the second-most hated woman in the world is? If someone else gets hold of Springheel, who do you think is at, or near the top, of their list of people to use it on? I intend to slaughter this particular Golden Goose, Troilus. The attack made me realize that The Thing has limits. Yorkshire found one of them. Another that occurred to me while I spent two weeks in a chair is that you have to know someone is there in the first place. I know that I am not long for this world as long as Springheel exists. What do I do when something happens that I can't handle, Troilus? What have I always done?"

"You run." He answered.

"Yes, I run. I had two weeks of Leg Days to make up for when I got out of that chair. And all the time, I thought to myself, 'This thing LEAPS,' Troy. It fucking leaps! And it's got that Mortal Kombat harpoon thing, too. And that brings us back to the original problem of 'I have to know it's there in the first place.' You know we can't walk around doing it all day, just in case someone might be there. And what if they put a deaf guy in it, which Yorkshire is certain to do?"

"Well, there's something." Susan spoke up. "This Yorkshire guy didn't just search Google for 'terminally-ill hard-of-hearing assassins.' He'd have to have known Frank Morgan from before he went straight and became Gareth Finnegan. Probably knew him under both names. Maybe Morgan was the one who approached him when the money ran out."

Helen gave Susan a broad smile.

"Hey, I hadn't considered that. You're really helpful, Susan. Have you considered that maybe helping people might be your talent? I mean, that's what you do for Claire now. It's late in San Finzione, but I'll ask Ramirez to place a call to a friend of his who might know something."

Like, Comment and Give Rating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Night Follows Day by TMaskedWriter - by Ramesh_Rocky - 01-04-2019, 11:46 AM