Fantasy Long Day's Journey into Susan by TMaskedWriter
Sue: You taught me to adapt to crisis, to seek ways around the obstacles in my life. When I didn't know what to do, you showed me how to go on.

Suzy-Q: You taught me what it felt like to be owned. To be completely subjugated as a person, a possession; not cared for, merely owned. You showed me I was better than that, and that I never want that again. (I say this fully aware that I live with two people with the ability to control minds, but they use it for good whenever possible, and I never really feel like they own me. Well, sometimes for fun, sure.)

Suzy-Ho: You taught me that sometimes, the only way to handle a horrible situation is to switch off your brain and let instinct guide you. With the right person (or people), that can be wonderful, and I'm sorry I picked the wrong one for us.

All of you made me into Susan, and Susan loves all of you. I won't be casting you aside or trying to pretend you don't exist. We'll all talk again from time to time, hopefully more clearly and not so many at once.

A couple of weeks after that, Troy came home one afternoon with a satchel full of money. He'd gone over everything and figured out that Chad owed me around $40,000 and had gotten it from him before Chad left town. Troy asked if I wanted him to take half of it and start an investment portfolio for me. I asked Julie and she nodded emphatically. "This is what my Math Boy is really good at. I had about a quarter of that when he started one for me and I got through college with no loans. Take the offer!"

I see Claire almost every day now too. Troy had gone over her books as well and the yoga studio had really taken off. She'd been able to start a second studio with his advice, and soon became busy enough to need an executive secretary. Julie told her she knew someone with experience handling crises and assholes and I suddenly had a new job with a great boss. (She DOES tend to need my help on a lot of long lunches and business trips. I also had somewhere to go if I didn't have a date during the week.)

A postcard from Chad got forwarded to Troy & Julie's house. It had a Denver postmark and he said he was working at a co-op and hoped I was ok. I showed it to Julie and asked what I should do. She thought for a minute and then said "Troy would say 'Don't punish a genuine effort to be nice.'" I've hung onto it, still haven't decided if I'll write back yet.

And then Saturday morning, when Julie was busy getting a show of her work organized, I got up to make coffee for myself and Claire, who was still asleep in my room, and saw Troy sitting on the patio in what looked like an old red velvet smoking jacket with his own cup. Something was hanging from his hand, I couldn't see what with the sun glinting off it from the kitchen, so stepped out to the patio to join him.

"Wow, that's really retro," I told him as I sat at the little metal table next to him. This close, I could see that the object that was reflecting the sunlight was an old gold pocket watch on a chain that he'd been holding up and looking at.
Like, Comment and Give Rating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Long Day's Journey into Susan by TMaskedWriter - by Ramesh_Rocky - 01-04-2019, 11:40 AM