Romance Dark Division - Dani by bdbeauty
From there, life again returned to normal. There was no reason for it not to as Nick and Vince went back to their regular routines at the bunker. Vince and Dani resumed their regular text chatting and occasionally even talking on the phone. They got close, and for Vince it meant having someone that he felt connected to just like he did with Nick. He might want more, but at least Dani was open to him.

It wasn't until late summer that Vince didn't hear from her for almost a week. He tried not to worry, to assure himself that it was just because she was busy. That all changed though, when they got a call from Paul, who was covering for Oz. In an instant, Vince was running through the halls telling Nick to get his shit together because they needed to go. From there, it was a white knuckle ride where Nick asked a dozen questions, but Vince only had answers to one important one. All he knew was that Dani was in trouble and he would be damned if he didn't go help her.

He forced Nick to drive when he couldn't anymore and before long they pulled up to an old farmhouse. Vince took a deep breath and headed straight for the door. Nick barely had time to think before he was racing to follow Vince inside. All he had gathered so far was Paul said Dani was in bad shape and he couldn't get to her, but he was worried.

Vince knocked on the door to the old farmhouse and waited. He heard Nick scrambling behind him, but all he cared about was getting to her. He needed her to be okay. He tried the handle and it turned easily. He saw the etchings around it, but they were clearly not intended to keep humans out. When he opened the door and came inside, he trailed down the small hallway to the kitchen where he saw lights on.

There she was distraught, completely beside herself and drunk to boot and he had never seen her like that. Not once. Vince needed her to be okay, he was used to the tough Dani who never needed anything. Sure she would call for help, but she always held her own. That's part of the reason he fell in love with her. This shell of a woman in front of him just wasn't Dani.

"Hey Dani, shit...what's up?" Nick came in past his partner who stood like a statute staring.

"Nick? Vince? Why are...why are...you here?" Her words were slurred as she spoke.

"Paul called, said you called him all fucked up, but he couldn't help because he's covering for Oz. So, he called us as the closest." Nick chimed in.

"Oh, he's great...I love Paul. Yea, well, I have a little problem and I am too chicken . . . chicken shit to handle it." She was obviously drunk as she spoke. Vince was thrown so far off kilter seeing her like this. The last time they'd spoken, she was heading to a safe house for a few days with Stan and was supposed to call when they were onto the next case. When he hadn't heard anything, Vince hadn't reached out, not wanting to push too hard, but seeing her like this made him just want to hold her again and tell her everything was okay. Sadness was a part of her he never wanted to see.

When she looked up at him, her crazy beautiful eyes were filled with tears and bloodshot, it was totally different from the last he saw her. Dani looked broken, truly broken.

"What's the problem?" Vince pulled himself together acting as if she was just another agent to him. It was easier than letting her see the hurt in his eyes from seeing her like this.

"It's Stan. He...they took him from me." Dani's level of upset and drunk was making it almost impossible for her to put together sentences at this point. "Vince...they took him...I loved him and they took him." A fresh set of tears made his pride drop away as he walked over to the table and squatted between her legs.

"Dani...sweetheart...look at me." Vince lifted her face as Nick watched. Nick knew their history, all of it by now after too many drunken nights listening to Vince pine for her. He knew his partner was probably right to try to discard his romantic feelings, but being here in front of Dani again made his love for her resurface.

"Oh Vince...I'm so sorry. Are you mad at me 'cause I didn't call you first? I was just trying to reach Oz. I'm so sorry."

"No...hey...listen...I'm not mad. Nick and I are here to help you, but you have to pull it together and tell us what's going on. Do you need coffee baby?" His thumb wiped a tear away from her cheek.

"Okay Vince. Will you make me coffee?" She was focusing on him which was enough for him to know that she just needed something to pull her back from the complete drunk that she had reached.

"Sure Dani...we got you. Just try to start from the beginning." Nick sprang into action. He took off his coat and threw it over the back of a chair. Vince watched making sure that Nick was starting on coffee and then he pulled a chair around so he could sit and face her.

"A few days ago, I heard there were vampires on the outskirts of town. And, I started investigating. The last thing I needed was bloodsuckers in my hometown."

"So, you used to live here?" Vince's green eyes held hers and he saw recognition in her face that she could trust him.

"This isn't just a safe house. It's my childhood home. I come by every few months to check on friends. I knew it was stupid, I mean agents can't have attachments, but I really wanted to stay in touch. And, Stan doesn't mind, he likes it here too. Plus, he never says anything to Oz." A glimmer of a smile crossed her lips and it made him sad for what he knew was the likely end of the story.

"He's a good guy Dani, we know." Vince answered.

Nick walked over and sat down on the other chair as he waited for the coffee pot to finish. "So, what did you find out about the vamps?"

"There was a new group, like maybe five or six. I went over during the day, but they had a few humans watching out. I'm sorry...bear with me...I'm pretty fucking drunk Nick." Dani smiled half-heartedly at him. Vince felt a pang of jealousy as she looked at his partner. He knew Nick cared about Dani, but he didn't like the thought that they might have a connection he wasn't involved in.

"Okay, so you know where they are, did you try to take them out?" Vince asked her pulling her attention back. Her eyes held his fixed.
Like, Comment and Give Rating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dark Division - Dani by bdbeauty - by Ramesh_Rocky - 08-03-2019, 01:23 PM