Non-erotic Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed}
I called my apartment to speak to my son.

His sweet voice echoed in my eardrums---“Mamma, come home.”

---“I come coming, sweetheart. We will go for shopping and new dress for you.”

He asked in jejune tone---“Happy birthday Mamma?”

I bit my lower lips on hearing his sweet query---“Yes, sweetheart, we will celebrate your happy birthday.”

I asked my maid whether he has taken his food or not. She said that he cried for long time after I came to Institute. I pressed my ears “Oh! No what have I done.”

#

Dr. Sarkar came in my cabin and saw that my face was red and eyelashes were soaked.

---“Felling bad, that you have to leave Kolkata?”

I wiped my eyes and said---“Missing my son.”

---“Hmm! That is a domain of mother; I do not want to intervene. By the way, congratulation Dr. Pelletier is satisfied with your works. You will get your appointment letter once you reach Bordeaux. You have to return within a week and then you will have to apply for work visa for France. It won’t be a problem.”

He then smiled painfully---“Alas, I will have to search for a new apprentice. I will miss you very much, my child.”

#

On the way home, I brought ice cream for Abhi and a soft toy, a teddy bear. He loved ice-creams very much. On reaching home, I found Abhi’s eyes were sore, he was angry upon me. He wailed upon seeing me at the door and jumped on my lap. I showered millions of kisses on his sweet face and gave him the ice cream. He sat on my lap and started to lick the ice cream from my hand.

I asked him---“Like it?”

He nodded his head, his lips were covered with vanilla creams.

---“Want to go shipping new dress?”

---“Yes, Sweet Heart; happy birthday.”

---“Mamma, Titli?”

I nodded “yes she will come.”

---“Papri Didi?”

---“Yes.”

How ignorant was he that no one would be present at his birthday. His birthday would be celebrated on foreign soil with no known face around him to cheer him up.

#

Getting Visa from French consulate was not a problem as the invitation letter was from a prestigious institution of France.

#

I informed Teesta and Kalyani about my trip to France and said that I was leaving India to continue my advanced research in Centre Etudes Nucleaires de Bordeaux. They were very much surprised by my sudden decision of leaving India and leaving them. I gave them the same answer that I gave to Maithili. They were not satisfied by my answer; however, their pleas did not deter me to trace back the path I was already walking on.

#

I started my shopping and packing my bags. The most important thing that I packed was the optics notebook in my laptop bag. I was asked to pack few woolens and blazers, as I would be travelling to higher northern latitude. I was busy in shopping western outfits so that I could acclimatize myself in the French soil. However, I did not forget to pack my sarees and my ornaments. I bought new dresses for Abhimanyu also. I went to Raymond’s shop in Ultadanga to stitch a white suit for myself and a pair of blazers for Abhi. After all, he was the apple of my eye so how can he be left behind if his mother can wear such expensive suits. Abhi was very happy to find new dresses everyday and he always gave me a satisfied look whenever I told him that we would be going for trip. It was the first time I was taking Abhi out of Kolkata. His mother’s bad-luck that she could not take him in any trip. I was happy to see smile on my son’s face.

#

Maithili did not call for a week; I knew she was very much disappointed by my decision. I also not called ChotoMa yet to divulge my intention yet. I did not know what would be her reaction upon hearing that I was leaving India forever. The only fact I knew that she would lament, as she really loved me a lot, but her love took away what I loved most in this world.

Once everything was packed, I visited my native place for one last time before leaving India forever. I knew that, next time when I would come back I would find the whole place had changed. Titli and Papri were very happy to see Abhi. I returned within two days from my native village. On the last evening, I took my son, Abhimanyu in my lap and walked towards the backyard.

I asked him---“Take a hand full of earth and join your hands to this mango tree. When no one will bless you, call this mango tree, he will surely answer your call.”

While saying those words, I also felt the same what I told to him. My son was too small to understand my words but he understood something when he saw tears in my eyes.

#

I handed a bunch of spare keys to Maithili---“Look after my apartment. I will be back within a week.”

She was again astonished on hearing that I was going to comeback. I explained her that I had to apply for work visa as I was then going only in tourist visa to attend convention.

---“So you are not going to visit us that time.”

---“Probably no, as I might not have much time at my disposal.”

---“So what do I do with the keys?”

---“Sell everything I had in that apartment and whatever money you get make a fixed deposit for my daughter Titli. As you know most of my wealth has been spent in these years so I don’t have much left to present you.”

I looked at the crying faces of all my brothers and sister.

She hugged me for one last time and whispered in my ears---“I hate you. Leave and do not come back.” She took Titli from me and handed me Abhi.

Her voice was choking, she chewed her last words---“Our world is really different, Paree. I hate you.”

Everyone bid me goodbye with sniveled eyes.

#

My tickets arrived on first week of April. Return was via Mumbai.

#

One evening I called ChotoMa to inform her that I was going to Bordeaux, France for my advanced research and job.

“How are you ChotoMa?” After a long time I was talking to her.

She asked about my son---“How is my grandson?”

---“He is growing up and getting naughtier day by day.”

---“Why don’t you come to your house this weekend, Paree?”

I took a deep breath to break the news to her---“I am going to France, ChotoMa.”

She paused for a little and said---“Where?” I was sure that she was unable to believe that her little Paree was leaving her.

---“I have got an offer in a Nuclear Institute in Bordeaux, France, ChotoMa.”

She wailed---“No, I won’t be able to see my grandson. You can’t take him away from me Paree.”

My eyes were soaked I controlled my tears and bit my lower lips---“I am going this Saturday, ChotoMa.”

She cried out on the phone---“Don’t take my grandson away, Paree. Please.”

I wiped my eyes but it was not worth as I was unable to see anything with my flooding eyes.

---“I can’t step in that house ChotoMa. I am sorry. I will see you at the airport. My flight to New Delhi is at the evening. My flight to Bordeaux is at late night from New Delhi.”

---“So big price I had to pay?”

---“I have also paid a very big price, ChotoMa. Who was responsible? I do not want to go in any discussion now, ChotoMa.”

She said her last words and kept the phone---“I loved you Paree as my own daughter. All I ever wanted to see smile on your face. May be that, I asked too much from God that He has punished me so bitterly.”

I cried out---“Ma, I love you very much.” However, by then she had kept the phone. She did not wait to her what I said to her. I could not sleep that night, I cried for the whole night.

#

On the fateful Saturday, April second week. Abhimanyu, my son was very happy that he was going for a trip with his mother. He played with the suitcases as if they were his cars. I packed few of his soft toys in a suitcase.

#

Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed} - by usaiha2 - 12-02-2020, 01:36 PM