Non-erotic Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed}
In the evening, after he returned from office, he took me out for dinner. We sat in the Kaveri restaurant near Bartand bus stand. It was a good restaurant.

Himadri sat beside me and nudged my shoulder---“Suchi, I am sorry that I kept many things in dark. I did not want you to take unnecessary tensions. I thought to explain you everything at proper time. But that will come in this way, I have not dreamt of.”

I looked at my plate and said---“I am your wife now, Himu. Don’t I have the right to know as what my husband does? How he spend his days in his office?”

He spoke in a persuading voice---“You do have the right. I will not conceal anything from you. My dad is a coal contractor and he moves around with goons all the time. We have many foes in our business. Niladri handles most of the goons in the coalfields. Therefore, he also carries a weapon along with him all the time. Even if I am a manager but I have to defend myself from the goons so I do also carry.”

My eyes glistened with pain as “Where I had been put off? Was this my fate that brought me here or was it man-made who wanted to change my fate?”

Very softly, he rubbed his finger on my cheeks to sooth my pains and wiped my brewing eyes.

I smiled softly at him.

He looked deeply in my eyes and said---“I will talk to dad about your teaching profession. Do not worry. Whatever happens we will face that together.”

I held his arms very tightly. I felt very much secured as he put his right arm around me.

##

One evening, third week of January during the dinner, Himadri was eating quietly along with Niladri and father-in-law. He looked at me and then said to his dad---“Dad, I was thinking that Suchi should take up her teaching job.”

My father-in-law looked at my face and said---“Why she needs a job? I told you beforehand that I wanted a homemaker.”

He sounded very stern. His voice shook me. I knew beforehand that he would not allow me to dwell outside his house.

Niladri said---“Dad, Boudi is highly educated. If she sits in the house then it will be useless.”

Himadri spoke---“Dad, I don’t want my wife to sit out in the house.”

My father-in-law suddenly said something that made me burn in shame and anger.

---“What about the household works? I want my daughter-in-law to cook for me.”

Himadri looked at my face. I was looking down to the table and my eyes were hazy. I could not speak a single word, as I felt that “Was I an educated maid? Was that they wanted?”

Himadri apprehended my pains and he said---“She will do her job, Dad. I have made a promise to her on the first day.”

After much of coaxing and explanation, my father-in-law gave the permission for my job.

After few days, Himadri took me to the school. The school was inside the ISM campus, Indian School of Learning. While we drove inside the campus, he showed me his classrooms, his hostels, his mess. The campus was huge. There were trees on both sides of the main road. The school was at one end of the campus.

I got the job of a Physics teacher of senior section, in the school.

#
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed} - by usaiha2 - 11-02-2020, 05:12 PM