Non-erotic Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed}
After we came back, Babu told to me that they would come on next Sunday to finalise the dates.

I nodded my head and said---“Is there any need to get acquainted with the person I am marrying?”

---“Sure, you must get acquainted with the person.”

“I am already a pain to you” instead I said---“If you are all happy then I need not know, with whom I am getting married. Just tell me that on this day, I have to sit there in front of the sacrament pyre. I will oblige to every order.” My voice was cold and unperturbed.

ChotoMa said in a painful voice---“Please, Paree. At least don’t behave like this on that day.”

I clenched my jaws---“Leave me alone.” I slammed the door behind me.

##

The fateful Sunday arrived. As usual, I bathed in morning and dressed in a simple blue salwar kurta. It was morning ten o’clock. I was in the kitchen preparing lunch. Several dishes were prepared. ChotoMa helped me to prepare. Tiger prawns, fried rice and many more. While preparing those dishes for a single moment I told to myself “He was a simple fellow, with simple choice of food. Pulses and rice would contend him very much.”

The door bell ranged. Babu went to open the door. ChotoMa came into kitchen and asked me to wear saree.

I said to her---“If they choose me, then they would choose me not for my dress. I am not going to wear saree and sit there like a doll.”

She scolded me in a deep voice---“Go and change now.”

I clenched my jaws and walked to my room. I saw a middle aged woman in the dining room.

She looked at me and said in a soothing voice---“You don’t need to change. You are ok in what you are.”

ChotoMa signed me to touch her feet. I stooped to touch her feet.

She placed her palm on my head and said---“Just like I wanted.” She asked me to come along with her to the drawing room.

##

I looked at ChotoMa and said to her---“I need a moment.”

ChotoMa gave a displease look at me and said---“Don’t be late.” She came near me and whispered in my ears---“Don’t let us down, Paree.”

I nodded my head and assured her that “I won’t let you down.” Instead of my room, I went into the restroom and looked my face in the mirror.

My reflection said to me “So there you are at last. Smile and embrace what is coming to you.”

I said to my reflection, “This is a lifeless frame, who is doing her duty.”

##

I entered the drawing room and looked at Himadri. That day Niladri did not come. There was his parents and the groom with whom my fate was to get bounded for life time.

I joined my palms and offered my courtesy to Himadri. He stood up and joined his hands back.

In a fraction of seconds, I measured that Himadri was just few inches taller than me. If he walk beside me then I would look taller than him. I lost few pounds then.

He was dark brown in complexion. Probably his work nature had made his skin tanned. Front part of his head was bald. He had a thick moustache, black lips. His nose was wide, not chiseled as him. His tummy was slightly protruding out between the open blazers.

I sat on the opposite couch. His father asked few questions about my studies and about my families. I answered them quietly.

Then he said to ChotoMa---“We are looking for a homemaker.”

He asked me---“What do you want to do after marriage?”

I looked at ChotoMa and then at Himadri.

I pulled all my strength and spoke---“I always wanted to be a teacher.”

All the time Himadri was very calm and quiet. He was measuring me with his keen sharp eyes.

I gave a courtesy smile at him, without looking directly in his eyes.

Babu asked his father that they should leave us alone.

##

Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dawn at Midnight By Pinuram - {Completed} - by usaiha2 - 11-02-2020, 01:41 PM