Non-erotic Suchismita - My Forbidden Love - by Pinuram [Completed]
Heart 
Chapter 3: Darkest Hour

----------------------------

Our exams just got over last week. For whole two months, April and May, Paree acted as my elder sister taking care of me, helping me with my studies and exams. She instructed me to study at the drawing room during the night so that she could keep a close watch on me. She changed herself to a very strict lady just like her ChotoMa. Several nights passed that I dozed off to sleep with the book under my head and in the morning I found that the book was closed and a bedcover spread out over me.

Several nights passed she sat in front of me reading some newspaper or reading some books all the time I was engaged in my studies. She used to bring me coffee whenever I felt sleepy or used to wipe my face with the corner of her night gown. I got scolded several times for not drawing properly during the revision of mechanics and optics. Mom closely watched us on first few days, she probably smelled some smoke bellowing between us but when she found Paree was sitting silently reading newspaper or any novels with all arrangements of coffee and snacks, her head became clear as water.

Paree built a huge wall between us after the first night kiss. I was unable to break that wall at any cost in these two months. Whenever I looked at her and asked her for a small peck, every time I was presented with a slap on my face or a small ruffle on my hairs. In these two months my EVE never sat near me, I also understood the importance of the situation and after sometime I also didn’t ask for any favour from her. Eventually Mother Nature won the battle with Menaka.

It was 22nd May 2001. (I have mentioned few dates in this tale. I felt those to be very important part of my life).

I was watching a movie on TV, lying on the long couch after dinner. Mom and dad do not like much of English movies and neither do Paree. It was my all time favourite movie “Gone with the wind” being aired on TCM channel. It was summer season and the over head fan was circling in full speed. Paree was in the kitchen with mom, keeping the utensils in the cupboard and washing the sink and the tiles. It was about thirty minutes past ten. Dad was preparing to retire to bed, suddenly the phone bell rang.

As dad was near to the phone he picked that to answer the call. As I was watching TV so I could not hear as what all conversation happened.

After sometime dad came in to the drawing room and looked at me, bit shaken.

I looked at my dad and asked as who had called.

Dad said ---“Bannerjee Uncle has called you at Belle Vue clinic at Shakespeare Sarani.”

I was surprised, my heart started to beat very fast ---“What happened and to whom?”

Paree heard our conversation and came running from the kitchen. Dad told her that Bannerjee Uncle means Debi’s dad has called me to the nursing home. Paree looked at me and became aware as what has happened. Mom was standing behind Paree.

I somehow got dressed up and was about to leave, dad called me and said that Paree wants to go with me. I looked at mom. Paree already got dressed and looked at mom with tearful eyes. Mom sensed that it would be useless to keep Paree at home.

Whole of the journey, Paree just kept quiet, clutched my hand tightly kept quiet. She knew that something very worse was to happen.

As we entered the courtyard of the nursing home, it was already dead night. Thirty minutes past eleven.

I saw Bannerjee Uncle, Sharmi’s dad and mom and Debi at the waiting area. Sharmi’s mom and Debi sat quietly at one corner of the hall. On seeing Paree, Debi came running towards her and hid her face in her lap and started to cry.

I went to Bannerjee uncle to ask as what has happened to Sarmishta.

He told me that, after the evening tea everyone was engaged in their works. Sarmishta was alone in her room arranging the cupboard by standing on a stool. She saw a spider coming out from the cupboard and she screamed out. She got disbalanced and fell from the stool; the handle of the cupboard hit the bridge of her nose and it started bleeding. At first they tried to stop the bleeding by calling the nearby doctor. He observed that some pus was coming out along with blood and he recommended taking her to hospital immediately. On arriving here at the Belle Vue, the doctors took her directly to the operation theatre.

I called at my home and informed about the situation. Dad asked me to take care of Paree and Debi.

I looked at the other end of the hall; I saw Arindam standing at one corner alone. Debi’s parent still does not know about Arindam so he kept himself away from the crowd. Slowly I walked towards him and asked him how he came to know. He told me that Debi called him, but here he found that every one of her family members to be present so he was unable to go near Debi.

I looked at Paree and wagged my palms and called her. Debi also saw Arindam standing with me. Paree helped Debi to stand up and we all four went to another corner of the hall, from where we were partially hidden from the sight of Bannerjee uncle. On seeing Arindam, Debi could not say anything but only her lips shook a little.

Paree took me away from them --- “Come, let them to be free for some time.”

I told Paree --- “If you leave Debi here, then a new scene will get created here, so no need to go anywhere. You stay with them while I go there.”

Each passing minutes felt like a year to me. I was anxiously walking up and down the corridor. Sharmi’s dad and mom were heavily perturbed as their only child was inside the operation theatre.

After sometime, Arindam called me and said that he can’t stay here all night as that might raise some eyebrows. He gave me his telephone number and asked me to call him if anything is needed.

Paree sat beside Debi, trying to console her. Her voice was also choked.

---“Nothing will happen to Sarmishta. That’s just a bleeding and the doctors will fix that.”

In my mind I shouted to God and reminded HIM about the plea that I asked for while I tied the thread to that tree at Dakhinehwar temple premises. I don’t know whether HE heard me or not.

Bannerjee uncle called me and asked me whether we want to have any tea or not. I asked Sharmi’s dad whether he wants anything to have or not. But parents’ hearts always writhe; he was not going to buzz till he gets any news from the OT.

At about four o’clock in the morning one doctor came out. All our eyes were fixed on him. Arteries pumping blood into the heart as fast as they can.

Debi clutched Paree’s hand with all might and closed her eyes.

The doctor said ---“The veins connecting to frontal lobe has got damaged. We are trying our best to fix something, but we can’t ensure. She is slipping in to coma. We can’t say anything till she regains her consciousness. We have to observe her for next seventy two hours in ICU before concluding anything.”

I looked at Paree; she is a very strong person. She held her tears greatly behind those big dark eyes and hugged Debi. Debi threw her around Paree’s neck and with all her might she has clutched her as a last straw. I came near them and kneeled down before those crying ladies.

Debi still has her head kept on Paree’s shoulder, and Paree was caressing her back to console her. Her eyes were also flooding with unknown fear.

Debi’s lips quivered a bit and she said to me which made my heart to collapse then and there.

---“You saved my sister once, bring her back to me again.”

Paree scolded her --- “Don’t say anything like this. Sarmishta is going to be alright. You are going to take her back home.” She looked at me with tearful eyes and said “Why don’t you say something, idiot.”

I tried to say something to Debi, just then Bannerjee Uncle approached us. It was morning outside.

Uncle asked me whether I want to go home or not. I told him that he should go taking the ladies with him and I along with Sharmi’s dad would stay.

Paree told me --- “Do you think Debi will buzz from here?”

Debi nodded her head and said that she does not want to leave till Sharmi open her eyes.

I went to aunt and asked her about her condition. Mother’s heart always pain. She also didn’t want to buzz.

I told Paree ---“It is your responsibility to take these ladies home while I and her dad stay here. Get them fresh and fresh yourself also as none of you have taken any food from yesterday night.”

With tearful eyes she said to me ---“How do I console a bleeding mother, whose child is inside ICU? Tell me?”

I took Paree to one corner and said to her ---“Just go. I know very well that we have very less time.”

She looked at me with full of question in her eyes --- “What do you mean by that?”

---“Sharmi, sensed beforehand that she didn’t have much time left in this world. Remember on the Dakhinehwar temple, I and Sharmi were standing in the middle of the huge courtyard. She said to me that if anything happens to her then I would ask Arindam to take care of Debi.”

Paree clutched my collar and with tears rolling down her red eyes --- “Why haven’t you told me this before?”

---“I promised her not to tell anyone.”

---“And now you break her promise? What type of person you are?”

---“I am just coping myself with the truth that has to come, Paree. Nothing else.”

She hid her face on my chest and my shirt soaked in her tears. I had no words to console her. After sometime, Paree looked at me.

---“You don’t cry easily, do you?”

---“At present I don’t have the luxury to shed my tears, Paree.”

---“How are you going to handle Debi and aunt?”

---“Time will heal them, but as of now let me handle them.”

Paree left my collar and walked to Debi, who was seated by side of her aunt, Sharmi’s mom.

I kneeled down before those ladies, took Debi’s and aunt’s hand in mine. Uncle, Sharmi’s dad, looked at me.

I spoke ---“Sarmishta is now in ICU and I and uncle are staying here. Doctors’ have said to wait for seventy two hours. It will be idiotic to stay here. You three go home with Bannerjee uncle, freshen up yourself and then if required I will call you and you can visit her.”

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forbidden Love by Pinuram [Completed] - by usaiha2 - 19-12-2019, 11:02 AM