Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
ebooks Collection 2019
[Image: 5YQpQzGs_t.jpg]
Oh Crap! Potty Training Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right
epub | 1.56 MB | English | Jamie Glowacki

Description: Jamie Glowacki-potty-training expert, Pied Piper of Poop, and author of the popular guide, Oh Crap! Potty Training-shares her proven 6-step plan to help you toilet train your preschooler quickly and successfully.
Worried about potty training? Let Jamie Glowacki, potty-training expert at OhCrapPottyTraining.com, show you how it's done. Her 6-step, proven process to get your toddler out of diapers and onto the toilet has already worked for tens of thousands of kids and their parents. Here's the good ne: your child is probably ready to be potty trained EARLIER than you think (ideally, between 20-30 months), and it can be done FASTER than you expect (most kids get the basics in a few days-but Jamie's got you covered even if it takes a little longer). If you've ever said to yourself:

** How do I know if my kid is ready?
** Why won't my child poop in the potty?
** How do I avoid "potty power struggles"?
** How can I get their...

Like Reply
Do not mention / post any under age /rape content. If found Please use REPORT button.
[Image: cPA59Bhk_t.jpg]
Plans for Small Gardens Design, Build, Maintain, Enjoy
epub | 35.48 MB | English | Ann-Marie Powell | 2011

Description: You see a wonderful garden on TV, at the Chelsea flower show, or at your neighbours' house, but how do you go about recreating it in your own back yard? In Ann-Marie Powell's Plans for Small Gardens, the Chelsea gold medal winner lists out all the gardening ingredients, as well explaining how to actually create and maintain your garden. This is a book that starts from scratch to allow even gardening novices to build their perfect patch. Choose your recipe - shady, courtyard, family, or edible; collect your ingredients - turf, slabs, containers and plants; and follow the simple method to put the garden together. Detailed planting and construction plans, colour photographs and a handy practical section at the back of the book ensure you have all the resources you need, while year-by-year maintenance guides guarantee that your garden will continue to flourish for years to come.

Like Reply
[Image: kQhyuAS0_t.jpg]
2666 by Roberto Bolaño
epub | 2.46 MB | English | Roberto Bolaño

Description: THE POSTHUMOUS MASTERWORK FROM "ONE OF THE GREATEST AND MOST INFLUENTIAL MODERN WRITERS" (JAMES WOOD, THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW)

Composed in the last years of Roberto Bolaño's life, 2666 was greeted across Europe and Latin America as his highest achievement, surpassing even his previous work in its strangeness, beauty, and scope. Its throng of unforgettable characters includes academics and convicts, an American sportswriter, an elusive German novelist, and a teenage student and her widowed, mentally unstable father. Their lives intersect in the urban sprawl of SantaTeresa-a fictional Juárez-on the U.S.-Mexico border, where hundreds of young factory workers, in the novel as in life, have disappeared.

Like Reply
[Image: JzBjV7DQ_t.jpg]
The Great Aussie Bloke Slim Down by Peter FitzSimons
epub | 1.51 MB | English | Peter FitzSimons | 2016

Description: N/A

Like Reply
[Image: 4WmHPYVO_t.jpg]
Blackman's Coffin by Mark de Castrique
epub | 590.58 KB | English | Mark de Castrique

Description:
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. At the start of this outstanding first in a new series from de Castrique (Final Undertaking), Sam Blackman, a feisty army vet who lost part of a leg in the current Iraq War, is in his last days of rehab at a V.A. hospital in Asheville, N.C., when he meets Tikima Robertson, a black woman and fellow amputee who invites him to apply for a job at her security firm. Soon after, Sam phones the firm and learns Tikima is dead. Sam speaks at Tikima's funeral, during which her apartment is ransacked. Tikima's sister, Nakayla, later finds that the intruders overlooked a diary from 1919 bookmarked with Sam's name and number. The diary vividly brings to life the intrepid journey of a white funeral director and the Robertson sisters' great-great-grandfather, Elijah Robertson, that ends in Elijah's murder. Suspecting a connection between the long-ago murder and Tikima's untimely drowning, Sam decides to investigate, but he must overcome hurdles of body and mind as he pursues the truth. A wealth of historical detail, an exciting treasure hunt and credible characters distinguish this fresh, adventurous read. (June)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist
While recuperating in an Asheville, North Carolina, veterans' hospital after losing a leg in Iraq, Sam Blackman  meets fellow vet Tikima Robertson, who stops by his hospital room with a possible job offer and a promise to visit again. When Tikima doesn't return, Sam tries to contact her and finds she has been murdered. After Tikima's sister, Nakayla, sho Sam a journal that Tikima wanted him to see, he becomes involved not only in finding Tikima's murderer but also in solving the mystery of the 90-year-old journal itself, which refers to another murder, of the Robertsons' great-great grandfather. Gold, emeralds, the Vanderbilt's Biltmore estate,  and author Thomas Wolfe play roles in the generations-old case, which Sam and Nakayla unravel in a suspenseful, compelling narrative. A nice mix of past and present and a sympathetic sleuthing duo will keep readers engaged. De Castrique is the author of the Barry Clayton Undertaking series,  also set in North Carolina. --Sue O'Brien

Like Reply
[Image: pLTPXT0P_t.jpg]
A Murder In Passing by Mark de Castrique
epub | 761.76 KB | Mark de Castrique

Description: The Blackman & Robertson Detective Agency faces a disturbing reality: no clients. So when Nakayla Robertson suggests a mushroom hunt at the historic, freed-slave commune The Kingdom of the Happy Land, Sam Blackman reluctantly agrees. Hunting the elusive edible, he stumbles into a rotting log...with a skeleton hidden inside. As intrigued as Sam is, this isn;t his case. So the local authorities tell him to butt out. Then Marsha Montgomery comes to Asheville asking Sam and Nakayla to investigate a 45-year-old burglary at her mother;s home. Someone stole a rifle and a photograph of Marsha;s mother, grandmother, and great grandmother taken in 1932 by renowned photographer Doris Ulmann. The site of the photograph is The Kingdom of the Happy Land. Marsha;s visit is no coincidence. Sam;s being played. But why?When Marsha;s 85-year-old mother Lucille is arrested for murder, Sam kno there is something amiss. Is the skeleton that of Jimmy Lang, Lucille;s lover and Martha;s father, a...

Like Reply
[Image: DMZ0Axd6_t.jpg]
The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich
epub | 2.88 MB | English | Louise Erdrich

Description: Based on the extraordinary life of National Book Award-winning author Louise Erdrich's grandfather who worked as a night watchman and carried the fight against Native dispossession from rural North Dakota all the way to Washington, D.C., this powerful novel explores themes of love and death with lightness and gravity and unfolds with the elegant prose, sly humor, and depth of feeling of a master craftsman.
Thomas Wazhushk is the night watchman at the jewel bearing plant, the first factory located near the Turtle Mountain Reservation in rural North Dakota. He is also a Chippewa Council member who is trying to understand the consequences of a new "emancipation" bill on its way to the floor of the United States Congress. It is 1953 and he and the other council members know the bill isn't about freedom; Congress is fed up with Indians. The bill is a "termination" that threatens the rights of Native Americans to their land and their very identity. How can the...

Like Reply
[Image: 14EZTc2Z_t.jpg]
I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells
epub | 254.15 KB | English | 9780765362360 | Dan Wells

Description: John Wayne Cleaver is dangerous, and he kno it.He's spent his life doing his best not to live up to his potential.He's obsessed with serial killers, but really doesn't want to become one. So for his own sake, and the safety of those around him, he lives by rigid rules he's written for himself, practicing normal life as if it were a private religion that could save him from damnation.Dead bodies are normal to John. He likes them, actually. They don't demand or expect the empathy he's unable to offer. Perhaps that's what gives him the objectivity to recognize that there's something different about the body the security officer have just found behind the Wash-n-Dry Laundromat---and to appreciate what that difference means.Now, for the first time, John has to confront a danger outside himself, a threat he can't control, a menace to everything and everyone he would love, if only he could.Dan Wells's debut novel, I Am Not a Serial Killer, is the first volume of a trilogy that will keep you awake and then haunt your dreams.At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.**

From Publishers Weekly
The teenage (and innocent) John Wayne Cleaver swears he is not the serial killer that has emerged in his small town--despite his grisly name and a series of unpleasant and eerie similarities. His fascination with the killer leads him to launch his own investigation of sorts-- one that leads him to the identity of the murderer. There are shades of Jeff Lindsay's darkly comic Dexter series, but John Allen Nelson is miscast. His female voices are grating caricatures, and he cannot become the protagonist--his voice is too deep, assured, and assertive even when the text suggests otherwise. A Tor hardcover (Revie, Feb. 1).
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review
"This dazzling, un-put-downable debut novel proves beyond a doubt that Dan Wells has the gift. His teenage protagonist is as chilling as he is endearing. More John Wayne Cleaver, please."---F. Paul Wilson, New York Times bestselling author

"The beauty of the prose, mixed with the depth of characterization, gives the haunting, first person narrative a human touch. Regardless of your age or your genre preferences, you will find this story both profound and enthralling."---Brandon Sanderson, New York Times bestselling author

Like Reply
[Image: 1rHm2fJa_t.jpg]
Table Manners by Jeremiah Tower
epub | 2.28 MB | English | Jeremiah Tower

Description: An authoritative and witty guide to modern table manners for all occasions by one of the world's most acclaimed chefs and restaurateurs
Table Manners is an entertaining and practical guide to manners for everyone and every occasion. Whether you are a guest at a potluck or the host of a dinner party, a patron of your local bar or an invitee at a state dinner, this book tells you exactly how to behave: what to talk about, what to wear, how to eat. Jeremiah Tower has advice on everything: food allergies, RSVPs, iPhones, running late, thank-yous, restaurant etiquette, even what to do when you are served something disgusting. With whimsical line drawings throughout, this is "Strunk and White" for the table.

Review
Who better than Jeremiah Tower to update Emily Post by teaching the iPhone generation all about modern table manners and proper behavior in restaurants, private homes, and even while on the go? Whether he s dealing with dress codes, appropriate dining conversation, food allergies, tipping, exotic menus, or doggie bags, Tower s worldly experience, savvy (and timeless) advice, gracious style, and often hilarious anecdotes make this compact manual not only a practical, no-nonsense guide but also delightful entertainment in itself. - James Villas, author of "Between Bites: Confessions of a Hungry Hedonist""
Who better than Jeremiah Tower to update Emily Post by teaching the iPhone generation all about modern table manners and proper behavior in restaurants, private homes, and even while on the go? Whether he s dealing with dress codes, appropriate dining conversation, food allergies, tipping, exotic menus, or doggie bags, Tower s worldly experience, savvy (and timeless) advice, gracious style, and often hilarious anecdotes make this compact manual not only a practical, no-nonsense guide but also delightful entertainment in itself. - James Villas, author of "Between Bites: Confessions of a Hungry Hedonist" """Jeremiah Tower s "Table Manners" is irresistibly erudite, humorous and a wonderful addicting read. His observations are as spot on as is the man himself. I plan to buy loads of the book as gifts for friends. I know they will appreciate it as much as I have!" - Ken Hom OBE, BBC TV presenter and author"
""Table Manners" is the antidote to the tidal wave of vulgarity threatening to drown us all a last stand of civility. And the elegant Jeremiah Tower is the perfect guide." Anthony Bourdain Who better than Jeremiah Tower to update Emily Post by teaching the iPhone generation all about modern table manners and proper behavior in restaurants, private homes, and even while on the go? Whether he s dealing with dress codes, appropriate dining conversation, food allergies, tipping, exotic menus, or doggie bags, Tower s worldly experience, savvy (and timeless) advice, gracious style, and often hilarious anecdotes make this compact manual not only a practical, no-nonsense guide but also delightful entertainment in itself. James Villas, author of "Between Bites: Confessions of a Hungry Hedonist" """Jeremiah Tower s "Table Manners" is irresistibly erudite, humorous and a wonderful addicting read. His observations are as spot on as is the man himself. I plan to buy loads of the book as gifts for friends. I know they will appreciate it as much as I have!" Ken Hom OBE, BBC TV presenter and author"
"A must-read for every man, woman, and child in our increasingly barbarous country, "Table Manners" is also a reminder that it's never too late to up your game. I grew up in a pretty civilized household and I learned a lot! If I were president, I would urge every man, woman, and child in the country to read this book, starting with Washington, DC, whose denizens need it the most! "Table Manners "is as witty, charming, and knowledgeable as the author himself, which is no mean feat. It's also supremely useful It already occupies pride of place on my handiest bookshelf."
Julia Reed It is the perfect gift for every young person and every world traveler. As someone lucky enough to have grown up eating a home-cooked meal every night of the week and who has carried on the tradition with my own family I'm delighted that Jeremiah is standing up for the values implicit in this most basic of civilized rituals. Table manners, after all, aren t just about what happens at the table, but about how we navigate the modern world. (Texting at the dinner table? "Really?") His book couldn't have arrived at a better moment.
Sara Moulton, host of "Sara s Weeknight Meals" on public TV and author of "Home Cooking 101" ""Table Manners" is the antidote to the tidal wave of vulgarity threatening to drown us all a last stand of civility. And the elegant Jeremiah Tower is the perfect guide." Anthony Bourdain "Jeremiah tower is quite possibly the most perfect gentleman I have ever met. In the 30 plus years i have known him, he has always exuded the calm and supreme excellence of a man completely in his element whether in a packed boite, at a fancy dinner or just slurping a few oysters with champagne. This tasty little handbook is the guide our gen x, y and z ers need to navigate the practical world in every situation, and I am betting that their parents and many of my peers might benefit from a quick and effective tune up on the best way to present themselves in our increasingly complex and ambiguous world of social interaction as well." - Mario Batali "A witty guide for how to behave in every situation. I love everything Jeremiah Tower says in "Table Manners" and the way he says it. You're hungover, you ate a whole cold pizza for breakfast, there's a button missing on your shirt, and now you're drinking warm champagne and olives with pits and whole lobsters at an exclusive party with a fussy host. This book will make sure you get asked back. I'm giving it to my teenager right now." - Cecily von Ziegesar, author of the "Gossip Girl" novels Who better than Jeremiah Tower to update Emily Post by teaching the iPhone generation all about modern table manners and proper behavior in restaurants, private homes, and even while on the go? Whether he s dealing with dress codes, appropriate dining conversation, food allergies, tipping, exotic menus, or doggie bags, Tower s worldly experience, savvy (and timeless) advice, gracious style, and often hilarious anecdotes make this compact manual not only a practical, no-nonsense guide but also delightful entertainment in itself. James Villas, author of "Between Bites: Confessions of a Hungry Hedonist" """Jeremiah Tower s "Table Manners" is irresistibly erudite, humorous and a wonderful addicting read. His observations are as spot on as is the man himself. I plan to buy loads of the book as gifts for friends. I know they will appreciate it as much as I have!" Ken Hom OBE, BBC TV presenter and author "This book is as witty, charming, and knowledgeable as the author himself, which is no mean feat. A must-read for every man, woman, and child in our increasingly barbarous country, "Table Manners" is also a reminder that it's never too late to up your game." Julia Reed "In crisp, delightfully wry prose, Jeremiah Tower makes it clear that the true point of manners isn't stodgy propriety but instead to help you make the most of every meal and party life has to offer." Emily Gould, author of "Friendship""

About the Author
Jeremiah Tower is the forefather of California cuisine and the author of the James Beard Award winning cookbook "Jeremiah Tower's New American Classics." The Beard Foundation has named him Outstanding Chef in America and Regional Best Chef California. He began his culinary career in 1972 as the co-owner and executive chef of Chez Panisse, and has opened numerous highly acclaimed restaurants in San Francisco and around the world. CNN recently made a documentary on his career. Libby VanderPloeg lives in Brooklyn, NY. Her work comes out of her deep affinity for storytelling, music, letterforms, printed ephemera, and wildlife. None of these works could have been made without the world's finest brioche and several good, strong cups of coffee."

Like Reply
[Image: Ib38u9p0_t.jpg]
A Specter of Justice by Mark de Castrique
epub | 241.65 KB | Mark de Castrique

Description: When private detective Sam Blackman agrees to help his partner and lover, Nakayla Robertson, conduct a fundraiser for orphaned twin boys, he does so to ease his conscience. The boys' parents were killed in a courtroom shootout where Sam was the key witness against the twins' father.The charity event, a nighttime ghost tour of the legendary haunted sites of Asheville, North Carolina, seems harmless enough. Sam only has to tell the story of a grief-stricken woman who hanged herself from an old, arched stone bridge. "Helen, come forth," he cries. Sam and his tour-goers expect the actress playing Helen's ghost to walk toward them from the bridge's dark recesses. Instead, her body tumbles from overhead and dangles at the end of a noose. Someone has reenacted the legend with deadly authenticity.When a second murder mimics another old ghost tale, the security officer fear a macabre serial killer is on the prowl. But the case isn't Sam's to solve. Then, a tidal wave of evidence begins to point...

Like Reply
[Image: irlPqasq_t.jpg]
A Reasonable Doubt by Phillip Margolin
epub | 483.74 KB | English | Phillip Margolin

Description: A magician linked to three murders and suspicious deaths years ago disappears in the middle of his new act in New York Times bestseller Phillip Margolin's latest thriller featuring Robin Lockwood
Robin Lockwood is a young criminal defense attorney and partner in a prominent law firm in Portland, Oregon. A former MMA fighter and Yale Law graduate, she joined the firm of legal legend Regina Barrister not long before Regina was forced into retirement by early onset Alzheimer's.
One of Regina's former clients, Robert Chesterfield, sho up in the law office with an odd request-he's seeking help from his old attorney in acquiring patent protection for an illusion. Chesterfield is a professional magician of some reknown and he has a major new trick he's about to debut. This is out of the scope of the law firm's expertise, but when Robin Lockwood looks into his previous relationship with the firm, she learns that twenty years ago he was arrested for...

Like Reply
[Image: kTiBe4jD_t.jpg]
Robot Warriors by Zac Harrison
epub | 2.29 MB | English | Zac Harrison | 2013

Description: It's competition time at Hyperspace High as the students build robots to compete in the annual Robot Warriors contest. John and Kaal are in with a chance of winning, but will competition get in the way of friendship?

Like Reply
[Image: aoEEWnCz_t.jpg]
The Buddha and the Borderline by Kiera Van Gelder
epub | 894.21 KB | English | 9781608820603 | Kiera Van Gelder

Description: The Buddha and the Borderline is a riveting, first-person account of one woman's struggle with borderline personality disorder (BPD)-a diagnosis some have called a psychiatric death sentence-and her eventual triumph over her symptoms through dialectical behavior therapy and Buddhist spirituality.

Like Reply
[Image: 72DUBw3E_t.jpg]
Galactic Battle by Zac Harrison
epub | 2.2 MB | English | Zac Harrison | 2013

Description: It's nearly time for the annual Space Spectacular show, and John and his friends are preparing a battle demonstration for the students' parents. But when the school's battle droids go on the attack, the students must work together to save the day.

Like Reply
[Image: ZqKOBtf0_t.jpg]
Space Plague by Zac Harrison
epub | 2.32 MB | English | Zac Harrison | 2013

Description: It's the end of the semester, and the students are in the grip of finals fever until a real fever takes over. The only possible cure lies in a distant nebula, but with the whole school under quarantine, who will be brave enough to go and get it?

Like Reply
[Image: wUAWTPG7_t.jpg]
Sexual Dissidence, 2nd Edition
epub | 785.16 KB | English | Jonathan Dollimore

Description: Why is homosexuality socially marginal yet symbolically central? Why, in other words, is it so strangely integral to the very societies which obsessively denounce it, and why is it history - history rather than human nature - which has produced this paradoxical position? These are just some of the questions explored in this wide-ranging study of sexual dissidence which returns to the early modern period in order to focus, question, and develop issues of postmodernity. In the process it brilliantly links writers as diverse as Shakespeare, Gide, Wilde, and Genet, and cultural critics as different as St. Augustine, Freud, Fanon, Foucault, and Monique Wittig. So Freud's theory of perversion is discovered to be more challenging than either his critics or his advocates usually allow, especially when approached via the earlier period's archetypal perverts, the religious heretic and the wayward woman, Satan and Eve. The book further sho how the literature, histories, and sub-cultures...

Like Reply
[Image: G6fKuJfd_t.jpg]
How Should We Live Great Ideas from the Past for Everyday Life
epub | 2.26 MB | English | Roman Krznaric

Description: How Should We Live? explores twelve universal topics-including love, family, and empathy; work, time, and money-and sho what history can teach us about the art of living.

Like Reply
[Image: ybswW748_t.jpg]
The Adventures of Maud West by Susannah Stapleton
epub | 12.1 MB | English | Susannah Stapleton | 2019

Description: Maud West ran her detective agency in London for more than thirty years, having starting sleuthing on behalf of society's finest in 1905. Her exploits grabbed headlines throughout the world but, beneath the public persona, she was forced to hide vital aspects of her own identity in order to thrive in a class-obsessed and male-dominated world. And - as Susannah Stapleton reveals - she was a most unreliable witness to her own life.
Who was Maud? And what was the reality of being a female private detective in the Golden Age of Crime?
Interweaving tales from Maud West's own 'casebook' with social history and extensive original research, Stapleton investigates the stories Maud West told about herself in a quest to uncover the truth.
With walk-on parts by Dr Crippen and Dorothy L. Sayers, Parisian gangsters and Continental blackmailers, The Adventures of Maud West, Lady Detective is a portrait of a woman ahead of her time and a deliciously...

Like Reply
[Image: pCwXmeEd_t.jpg]
Warlord's Revenge by Zac Harrison
epub | 2.62 MB | English | Zac Harrison | 2013

Description: John's class is being examined by the mysterious Scholars of Kerallin. If that isn't stressful enough, a former student with a grudge arrives unexpectedly and puts them all in danger.

Like Reply
[Image: q3nrENO5_t.jpg]
Electric Universe The Shocking True Story of Electricity
epub | 2.58 MB | English | David Bodanis

Description: In his bestselling E=mc2, David Bodanis led us, with astonishing ease, through the world's most famous equation. Now, in Electric Universe, he illuminates the wondrous yet invisible force that permeates our universe-and introduces us to the virtuoso scientists who plumbed its secrets.
For centuries, electricity was seen as little more than a curious property of certain substances that sparked when rubbed. Then, in the 1790s, Alessandro Volta began the scientific investigation that ignited an explosion of knowledge and invention. The force that once seemed inconsequential was revealed to be responsible for everything from the structure of the atom to the functioning of our brains. In harnessing its power, we have created a world of wonders-complete with roller coasters and radar, computer networks and psychopharmaceuticals.
A superb storyteller, Bodanis weaves tales of romance, divine inspiration, and fraud through lucid accounts of scientific breakthroughs. The great discoverers come to life in all their brilliance and idiosyncrasy, including the visionary Michael Faraday, who struggled against the prejudices of the British class system, and Samuel Morse, a painter who, before inventing the telegraph, ran for mayor of New York City on a platform of persecuting Catholics. Here too is Alan Turing, whose dream of a marvelous thinking machine-what we know as the computer-was met with indifference, and who ended his life in despair after British authorities forced him to undergo experimental treatments to "cure" his homosexuality.
From the frigid waters of the Atlantic to the streets of Hamburg during a World War II firestorm to the interior of the human body, Electric Universe is a mesmerizing journey of discovery by a master science writer.
From the Hardcover edition.

Amazon.com Review
Despite the fact that our lives are powered by electricity to an astonishing degree, most of us have little or no understanding of how or why it works. Instead, we rely on a blurry notion that it flo--like water--through wires to turn on our appliances. In Electric Universe, David Bodanis fools readers, by keeping them entertained and intrigued, into learning the science behind electricity. He does this by telling a series of stories, starting with how a backwoods American really invented the telegraph and how Samuel Morse stole the credit for it. From there, he works through the lives of Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Michael Faraday, and other pioneers. He sho how their experiments affected their lives--never more poignantly than with the tragic story of Alan Turing, whose early work designing computers wasn't enough to prevent him from being driven to suicide. It's surprisingly easy to identify with some of these brilliant scientists, because Bodanis relates their failures as well as their successes. In the end, although we may continue using words such as "current" to describe the "flow" of electrons, Bodanis makes certain that we see electrical energy for what it really is, at a subatomic, quantum level. Even so, there's not a single boring bit in the book. Electric Universe is an excellent scientific history, one that reveals both the progress of knowledge and the strange science of the wiggling electrons that run our lives. --Therese Littleton

From Publishers Weekly
This entertaining look at how electricity works and affects our daily lives is highlighted by Bodanis's charming narrative voice and by clever, fresh analogies that make difficult science accessible. Bodanis examines electricity's theoretical development and how 19th- and 20th-century entrepreneurs harnessed it to transform everyday existence. Going from "Wires" to "Waves" to computers and even the human body, Bodanis pairs electrical innovations with minibiographies of their developers, among them Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Guglielmo Marconi, Heinrich Herz and Alan Turing. In each case, Bodanis deepens his narrative by charting early failures-Edison's difficulty in finding a workable filament for the electric light bulb, for example-and financial struggles. And Bodanis can be a wry commentator on his subjects, noting, for example, how bedeviled Samuel Morse was by his telegraph patents-when the telegraph was actually invented by Joseph Henry, who refused to patent it. Surprisingly, Bodanis goes beyond the inorganic world of devices, delving deeply into the role electricity plays in the seemingly inhospitable "sloshing wet" human body, such as why being out in the cold makes us clumsy, or how alcohol works in the nervous system. Those who don't generally read science will find that Bodanis is a first-rate popularizer-as he also showed in his earlier E=MC2-able to keep a happy balance between technical explanation and accessibility. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Like Reply